Iberia Plus launched on Thursday a fantastic promotion (read more here) for 9,000 bonus Avios for each ticket purchased (up to 10 tickets & max bonus 90,000 Avios).
There were some ambiguity first because if the T&Cs were really correct that the Avios would be posted 10 days after the purchase was made and you only would lose the bonus miles if you cancel the tickets then no actual flying would be required. Iberia spokesperson contacted us on Friday confirming (read more here) that the promotion really is as good as it sounds.
You can access Iberia’s web page for this offer here.
Here’s the summary:
1. 9,000 bonus Avios for each ticket purchased by Iberia Plus member for up to 10 tickets and 90,000 bonus Avios.
2. Bonus Avios needs to be used by December 1, 2018 or they will be deducted from member’s account.
3. Transferring the Avios to BA is not using them. You will be left with negative balance with Iberia Plus per the spokesperson.
4. The bonus is tied to purchasing the ticket and you are not required to fly. As long as you don’t cancel the ticket (refund), the Avios are for you to keep (remember the use deadline).
5. Palma de Mallorca – Madrid tickets were really inexpensive when this promo first started ($20 or so). You can still fly from Santander to Madrid for less than $28 including all the taxes and fees.
6. Your purchase country on Iberia’s website must be set to Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Russia, United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, Mexico and USA when making the ticket purchase to be eligible for the bonus Avios.
Here are the statements that the Iberia spokesperson emailed to us on Friday:
have just sent you an e-mail with further information on our 9,000 Avios special promotion, but, please let me try to explain the doubts in your article, that I have just read
Our Iberia Plus cardholders will be able to keep the promotional Avios, if they don’t fly the purchased segments. And you can only redeem the Avios awarded through this promotion through the Iberia Plus programme. If the customers transfer these Avios to their BA Executive Club account, they will have a negative balance in the Iberia Plus programme, as those Avios wouldn’t have been spent by the date mentioned above.
Please, let me know, if you need further details on this. We would be grateful, if you can include this information in your article.
Here’s the full press release:
So for any flight ticket, either one way or return, bought on iberia.com until the 24th of June on a flight operated by Iberia, Iberia Express or Iberia Regional Air Nostrum, our Iberia Plus cardholders will get 9,000 Avios.
Each Iberia Plus cardholder will be able to earn up to 90,000 Avios during the promotion period. The Avios will be added within 10 days of the purchase to the Iberia Plus account of all customers identified as members of the Iberia Plus programme during the purchase process. These 9,000 Avios per booking will be additional to the Avios the customer will get for flying.
If the fare booked allows it and the customer decides to refund the ticket, these Avios will be withdrawn for their account. But if the customer buys the ticket and doesn’t fly, he will be able to keep those promotional Avios. The promotional Avios not redeemed by the 1st of December 2018 will be withdrawn from the cardholder’s account. These promotional Avios can be used to pay for services such as flight tickets, hotel booking, rental car… to be used next year.
Iberia Plus cardholders will receive those 9,000 Avios even when booking a ticket with multiple flights and carriers, if just one of the flights booked are operated by Iberia, Iberia Express or Iberia Regional Air Nostrum. For instance:
Madrid-London flight operated by Iberia
London-Madrid flight operated by British Airways
The promotion is available when the tickets are bought on iberia.com in the following countries: Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Russia, United Kingdom, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, Mexico and USA, regardless of the origin of the flight. So, you will get the 9,000 Avios, if you book a flight from Athens to Madrid, or from Johannesburg to Madrid, etc… operated by Iberia, on any of the iberia.com sites mentioned above.
Our Iberia Plus cardholders can book their flights until the 24th of June clicking on this link:
It is still hard to believe that Iberia has launched such a good promotion for those that are purchasing tickets on their website.
They must not have anticipated the amount of traffic this promotion was driving to their website because it ended up crashing several times in Saturday or at least was totally inaccessible.
I purchased the ten tickets yesterday (read more here) as did Freddo and Sebastian. Interesting to see how this will play out. Freddo is actually based in Barcelona so he constructed convoluted mini MR.