United Airlines continues to offer Premier Status Match Challenges and the best time to complete it is after June (July 1st is fine) because the status is then valid for the following membership yep (now until January 2020).
United matches the status from number of airlines just not from other Star Alliance airlines for 90-day period during which the member must complete certain number of PQMs (Premier Qualifying Miles) or PQSs (Premier Qualifying segments) on flights operated by United or United Express.
You can access United’s web page for the status match promotion here.
Note that you can choose +- 14 days from the date that you apply as the start date of the challenge. May help if you have just taken some United flights that you would like to apply towards the match.
Here United gives some examples of matched status from Delta and American, although they match number of other airlines as well.
The number of PQMs or PQSs that you need to complete over the 90-day period is dependent of the level that you are matched to per the chart above.
You must attach to the web form your current mileage summary or membership card of the program that you are matching from. The summary or the card should show your current status and the status expiry date.
Here are the matched airlines per UA’s web form:
- Aer Lingus
- Air Europe
- Airberlin (ceased to exist in 2017)
- Alaska Airlines
- Air France
- American Airlines
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
- China Airlines
- China Eastern Airlines
- China Southern Airlines
- CSA Czech Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
- Dragon Air (now Cathay Dragon)
- El Al Israel Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Jet Airways
- Kenya Airways
- Korean Airlines
- LAN Airlines (now LATAM)
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Royal Jordanian
- Siberia Airlines (S7 Airlines)
- Southwest Airlines
- TAM Airlines (now LATAM)
- Virgin America (now Alaska Airlines)
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin Australia
United Airlines has offered this status match with a challenge for quite a few years and it is a good way to get started with the airline if you are moving from away from Oneworld or SkyTeam or from any of the non-aligned airlines such as Alaska or GOL.
It just doesn’t make sense to do it early in the year because then it is only valid through January the following year (less than 12 months). When these challenges are completed after July, then they are valid through the end of January the following year +1.
Here are the full terms and conditions:
- Offer is not valid for members who have participated in the MileagePlus® status match program within the last 5 years.
- Premier membership materials will be not issued for the 90-day Offer Period. You may enjoy Premier benefits on United®- or United® Express-operated flights by providing your account number when making reservations or at check-in. During the 90-day Offer Period, you may not have access to all reciprocal Premier benefits with United’s partners, including access to Star Alliance lounges.
- Through this offer, you will not be able to qualify for a higher Premier status level than the one you are matched to in MileagePlus, even if you will fly more than qualifying travel requirements during the Offer Period. However, you will be able to qualify to a higher status level if you reach one of the published qualification thresholds for Premier status.
- If you are unable to complete the PQM or PQS requirement within the 90-day Offer Period, your matched MileagePlus Premier status will expire, and you may be returned to a lower earned Premier level, or general member status, at United’s sole discretion.
- Qualifying PQM or PQS must be posted to your MileagePlus account.
- Offer valid for qualifying paid travel completed within 90 days from time of account upgrade (the “Offer Period”).
- Participation does not guarantee Premier status. Matched status will expire after 90 days, unless the matched level or a higher level of Premier status is earned or awarded prior to that date.
- Valid on flights operated by United and United Express. Not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers. Flights must be posted to the MileagePlus account in order to qualify. MileagePlus award travel does not qualify for this offer. Basic Economy tickets do not qualify for this offer. Class-of-service bonus Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and Premier qualifying segments (PQS) will count toward this offer; however, other bonus PQM/PQS, promotional PQM/PQS, and/or credit card PQM do not count toward this offer. Other restrictions may apply. Offer subject to change without notice.
- Customers who earn Premier status through this promotion will have their accounts updated in the system within five to seven business days of completion and posting of the outlined PQM or PQS requirement for the status level matched to in MileagePlus. Premier membership materials will arrive within four to six weeks thereafter.
- Earned 2018 Premier status is valid through January 2019. The MileagePlus status is valid through January 2020 for customers who earn Premier status through this promotion on or after July 1, 2018.
- Upon meeting the PQM or PQS requirements to retain Premier Platinum status through this offer, members will be awarded 1 Regional Premier Upgrade, which will be credited to their account within 7-10 business days. Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades will not otherwise be awarded based on matched status or status reached through the MileagePlus Premier Status Match challenge.
- The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status sold, bartered or otherwise transferred is in violation of the Rules and any accounts or Members involved in such sales, barters or other transfers may be subject to United’s remedies as described in the MileagePlus program rules. The acquisition, use, transfer or attempted acquisition, use or transfer of mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other transfer in violation of the Rules may result in United’s exercise of United’s remedies as described in the MileagePlus program rules.
- Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program, including without limitation the Premier program (the “MileagePlus Program”), which are expressly incorporated herein. United may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count toward qualification for Premier status unless expressly stated otherwise. The accumulation of mileage or Premier status or any other status does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the MileagePlus Program. All calculations made in connection with the United MileagePlus Program and/or the Premier Program, including without limitation the accumulation of mileage and the satisfaction of the qualification requirements of the Premier Program, and/or the revisions of calculations (including any estimates), will be made by United Airlines and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the MileagePlus Program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the MileagePlus Program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus Program, go to united.com/mileageplus. (TB8230)