IHG Rewards Club let us know on Thursday that the new round of PointBreaks hotels would be available for bookings on Monday (September 24) through November 30, 2018. Yesterday, they also published the info on their Facebook page and confirmed that the new hotels would go live at noon EDT and one of the hotels would be InterContinental Mendoza in Argentina.
IHG changed back in January the number of points these PointBreaks hotels require. In addition to the usual 5,000 points per night, there are hotels now requiring 10,000 and 15,000 points too.
You can access IHG’s web page for PointBreaks hotels here (the list on IHG’s website is updated sometime on Monday after the PointBreaks hotels have become available for bookings).
Note that usually the PointBreaks hotels have become available for bookings before noon ET time on the day they are released. IHG has now announced, however, that the hotels would become available at noon (to be exact).
This is the fifth time when IHG has made a decision NOT to release the full list of PointBreaks hotels in advance that will make advance planning difficult.
We will monitor the situation and will have a post up and email going out to our blog email subscribers immediately after they have have gone live.
Here are some things that you should consider when booking PointBreaks hotels:
- You are only allowed to make two reservations using PointBreaks rate per each hotel according to the terms and conditions. Each of the reservations can be for as many days as you want or the award availability exists.
- The booking window for the new PointBreaks will open at noon EDT per IHG.
- You should be firm on the dates, as you can no longer modify the reservation(s) once the hotel has dropped off from the PointBreaks list or the award inventory is gone. You can usually shorten your stay and get the points back for the nights you didn’t use, however.
- Once the PointBreaks allocation has been used, the hotel will become available for awards at their usual point requirement level.
- The hotel cannot see what kind of award you have used (they boo into regular award inventory). They get the same reimbursement for PointBreaks as they get for regular award nights.
- PointBreaks book into the regular award inventory. If there are no awards available now, there won’t be PointBreaks either unless someone cancels their reservation.
- The more popular PointBreaks hotels tend to get their award inventory exhausted within couple of hours after going live.
We will closely monitor the situation on Monday and will get the post up with all hotels as soon as the PointBreaks hotels are available for bookings.
It is interesting to see the entire list of PointBreaks hotels that will be available for bookings on Monday. I wish that they would have provided better advance notice of hotels so that members could plan in advance.
I have actually stayed at the InterContinental Mendoza that is outside of the city center, attached to a mall and a casino, and used to be Crowne Plaza hotel in the past (not really up to InterContinental standards by any means). The stay turned to a Whine Wednesdays piece!: