Marriott Rewards and SPG both had separate challenges on their respective programs that were discontinued earlier this summer in anticipation of the program merger that took place on August 18, 2018. There are no status matches offered at the moment.
We first wrote about the newly launched Marriott Rewards and SPG Gold challenges on September 4, 2018 (read more here) when we had this as a reader question.
You can access Marriott Rewards page for Gold & Platinum benefits here.
Note that only ONE room will count towards fulfilling the challenge, although you can get points for up to three. The previous SPG challenge allowed you to credit up to three rooms towards the challenge as well.
The current Gold & Platinum challenge is valid through until 2021 or until Marriott Rewards decided to modify to withdraw it.
- The month you sign up + the following three months.
- Both paid and award stays now explicitly qualify
Status during challenge:
- Applying for the challenge doesn’t change the status that you have with the program (Base, Silver or GOld) until you have successfully completed it.
Previous status requirement:
- None. You don’t need to have any status with Marriott Rewards or SPG.
- You need to complete 8 nights during the qualification period.
- You need to complete 16 nights during the qualification period.
- You can request the challenge by contacting customer care by calling or sending them a message. Read my post here about how to get through to them without having to wait hours.
Don’t see much of a point doing the Gold challenge due to lack of benefits (no lounge access, breakfast or meaningful upgrades) that all would come at the Platinum level.
You can no longer qualify these challenges based on STAYS but you need to do it on NIGHTS. On a bright side, you don’t need to hotel hop.
Here are the terms and conditions of this challenge (posted on FlyerTalk – access here):
– This promotion is for existing members of the Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG members
– Registration is required
– Existing Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG members with base membership, Silver Elite or Gold Elite status are eligible for this promotion; members at Platinum Elite tier are ineligible for this offer.
– Upon making 16 qualifying paid nights within 90 days of date of registration, participant will receive Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG Platinum Elite status for up to one year, based on their loyalty program affiliation. After the first year, Platinum Elite status will be retained by staying the required number of qualifying nights under the terms of the Marriott Rewards, The RitzCarlton Rewards and the SPG programs.
– If member does not make 16 qualifying paid nights within 90 days of their date of registration, member will be changed to the membership level which corresponds to number of nights stayed: Member tier for 0-9 nights stayed, Silver Elite tier for 10- 24 nights stayed and Gold Elite tier for 25 – 49 nights stayed.
– Nights stayed prior to enrollment are not eligible for this offer.
– A ‘stay’ is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
Credit toward this promotion is given for night stays with participating Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG hotels which occur within the earning period.
– For a list of current Rewards participating brands, visit http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi
– For a list of current SPG participating brands, visit https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe…categoryId=brand.ourBrands
– Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton® , will count toward achievement. – Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights.
– Nights spent while redeeming an award are eligible for credit toward this promotion.
– Marriott Vacation Club owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit. CEC Status Challenge Offers Terms & Conditions 3
– Elite benefits vary by brands and based on availability.
– Offer is non-transferable. Offer is valid for one-time use. This promotion is subject to modification, cancellation, or limitation at Marriott’s discretion, with or without notice.
A member can only register for this promotion once between September 1, 2018 and December 31, 2021.