The Leading Hotels of the World was teasing this summer(read more here) that they would change the Leaders Club this fall and we wrote an update last month (read more here) when more information was released.
Now, Leaders Club has informed program members late last week about these “enhancements” and Unlimited membership has been renamed as Aurelian.
You can access Leaders Club here.
Here’s the Club benefits matrix:
Leaders Club now has introduces new Sterling level that comes with five upgrades and requires $5,000 spend during calendar year.
These upgrades cannot be used to suites. You only earn points based on your room rate.
Club member gets 7.5% and Sterling member 7.875% of their room rate back in points. Previously you got a free night certificate for every five stays.
Here are the changes to Unlimited now Aurelian (invitation only):
Members can be invited to Aurelian status if they belong to the top 1% of customers (minimum $10,000 spend) and then pay $1,500 fee (makes no sense at all).
– Price now $1,500 when previously $1,250
– Transportation budget now capped at $300 per membership year previously free to/from airport per stay at 30 cities
– Now you get 8.8% back in points when previously you got free night certificate after every four stays
– Unlimited number of upgrade requests (one category – no suites)
– No blackout dates on point awards
– No long complimentary Priority Pass status
– No longer guaranteed 4PM check out
– No longer 3 complimentary Club status for family members
– Previously $100 hotel benefit per stay – now gone
Oh well…. I don’t think that signing and paying makes any sense for anybody else than someone who happens to spend considerable time at one of the Leading Hotels of the World properties on business.
Most of these hotels must be available using one of the consortia such as FHR, Virtuoso etc. that comes with breakfast, space available upgrades and amenities without any extra fees.
You can likely get them considerable cheaper using one of the more obscure OTAs and/or using coupons with Orbitz, CheapTickets etc. than booking directly with the hotel or on Leading Hotels website.