Yesterday, I received an email from Iberia Plus offering me an upgrade for cash or Avios. I was first thinking why I am even receiving this? I am not planning to take any flights on Iberia anytime soon.
Then I remembered the Iberia Plus promo fiasco back this summer when the airline was basically giving (or selling) members 9,000 bonus Avios for buying tickets for flights that they were never going to take. There were tickets at 30 euros and you could image what happened as a result….
You can access Iberia’s here.
Here’s the email:
Here’s our coverage of this promotion:
- Iberia Promo Alert: up to 90k Extra Avios for Tickets Purchased on Iberia.com
- Statement From Iberia Plus Regarding The 90,000 Bonus Avios Promo
- Just Purchased 10 Iberia Tickets – Anyone Else?
- LAST CALL: Iberia Plus 90,000 Bonus Avios Booking Deadline Today! (June 24, 2018)
- Iberia Plus 90,000 Bonus Avios Promo Drama In The Making?
- Iberia Plus Limiting/Canceling New Accounts That Purchased Promo Tickets?
- Statement From Iberia Plus Regarding Blocked Accounts & Possible Workaround For Some
- Iberia Plus Ticket Purchase Avios Posted!
- Two Iberia Emails: Congratulating For 90,000 Avios & Asking For Official Identification
- The Iberia Promotion Saga (Drama Really) Continues: Now Customers Are Being Notified About ‘Inconsistencies’ With NO MILES But Refunds Offered
- And The Next Round: More Denials & Lies From IBERIA Concerning The 90,000 Miles Offer
- Still Unresolved Issues With Iberia’s 90,000 Avios Promo?
- Iberia Promotion Update: Missing Promotional Miles & Refusal To Activate Account Finally Resolved After U.S. DOT Complaint
- Iberia Plus 90,000 Avios Promotion: If You Have Opened Your Account 3 Months Ago You Can Now Transfer Your Points To British Airways Executive Club
The deadline of using the bonus Avios from this ticket purchase promotion is soon coming. You must use them by December 1st or they will just evaporate. Not sure what I will do!
Not sure if 48 euros is worth to upgrade this domestic Iberia flight for someone who has Oneworld status that comes with all the extra benefits such as lounge access and extra luggage allowance. For someone who would need to check in an extra bag and would need to pay for the privilege, this perhaps could make some sense.
This certainly isn’t the best way, however, to process an upgrade. You would think that Iberia could invest some cash (or sign up and pay for one of the services that provide the functionality) and come up with a page where you could sign up rather than emailing them and then waiting for a phone call during Iberia’s business hours…
Iberia Plus certainly wasn’t expecting how successful this promotion turned out to be….. Many readers effectively used this as a cheap way to purchase Avios at a discount.