IHG Rewards Club let us know on Tuesday that the new round of PointBreaks hotels will be available for bookings on Monday (November 26) despite that day being the Cyber Monday. IHG has not released any other information about the actual hotels on the PointBreaks this time, however.
IHG changed back in January the number of points these PointBreaks require. In addition to the usual 5,000 points per night, there are hotels now requiring 10,000 and 15,000 points too.
You can access IHG’s web page for PointBreaks hotels here (the list on IHG’s website is updated sometime on Monday after the PointBreaks hotels have become available for bookings).
Note that usually the PointBreaks hotels have become available for bookings before noon ET time on the day they are released. IHG has for the past few rounds made the entire list available for bookings EXACTLY at noon EST.
This is the sixth time when IHG has made a decision NOT to release the full list of PointBreaks hotels in advance that will make advance planning difficult and I believe the second time that we haven’t received any form of preview.
We will monitor the situation and will have a post up and email going out to our blog email subscribers immediately after they have have gone live.
Members can purchase points at 100% bonus through November 30, 2018.
Here are some things that you should consider when booking PointBreaks hotels:
- You are only allowed to make two reservations using PointBreaks rate per each hotel according to the terms and conditions. Each of the reservations can be for as many days as you want or the award availability exists.
- The booking window for the new PointBreaks will open at noon EST per IHG (previous few rounds_.
- You should be firm on the dates, as you can no longer modify the reservation(s) once the hotel has dropped off from the PointBreaks list or the award inventory is gone. You can usually shorten your stay and get the points back for the nights you didn’t use, however.
- Once the PointBreaks allocation has been used, the hotel will become available for awards at their usual point requirement level.
- The hotel cannot see what kind of award you have used (they boo into regular award inventory). They get the same reimbursement for PointBreaks as they get for regular award nights.
- PointBreaks book into the regular award inventory. If there are no awards available now, there won’t be PointBreaks either unless someone cancels their reservation.
- The more popular PointBreaks hotels tend to get their award inventory exhausted within couple of hours after going live.
We will closely monitor the situation on Monday and will get the post up with all hotels as soon as the PointBreaks hotels are available for bookings.
It has been very rare that IHG hasn’t given any kind of preview of hotels available on the PointBreaks like what they have decided to do this time around. Very eager to see the list once available tomorrow.
And definitely no. The forthcoming InterContinental in the featured photo won’t be on the PointBreaks list!