United Airlines has launched a new MileagePlus Buy Miles bonus sale that is valid through June 13, 2019 – targeted to accounts with a U.S. address on it.
United nowadays has promotions pretty much every month for buying miles, but they all max out at a 100% bonus or a 50% discount (exactly the same offer because United usually limits the number of miles one can purchase per year including any possible bonuses to 175K).
You can access and see your bonus on United’s website here.
Here’s the bonus schedule:
- Buy 5,000-14,000 miles, get a 40% bonus
- Buy 15,000-39,000 miles, get a 60% bonus
- Buy 40,000+ miles, get a 100% bonus
I tried three different accounts and it appears that this promotion is targeted to accounts with a U.S. address only so if you live abroad this offer will likely not show up in your account.
The maximum amount you can purchase per year is 175,000 miles (bonus included):
The price of a mile (one) at the 100% bonus level is 1.88 U.S. cents which is reasonable when used for certain premium tickets.
Does it make sense to purchase United miles?
If you use them for international business or first class tickets between expensive city pairs, then the answer is likely yes.
United is “enhancing” its MileagePlus program later this year. You can read more about these changes here.
Unfortunately this offer is targeted to U.S. accounts and regarding this just a word of warning: When you change your address to the U.S. you can do so without a problem but when changing it back to a foreign address you need to provide proof and it will take time for United to verify that. This is due to the lower status qualification hurdles for foreign residents.
It is uncertain how valuable United’s miles are in the future when the airline no longer publishes award charts (easier to devalue them).
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT on June 13, 2019.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 100,000 miles.
- Bonuses will be calculated on a per transaction basis only. The bonus amount applicable to a transaction is shown in the chart. Transactions may not be aggregated to calculate the bonus.
- Bonus Miles will generally be credited to the recipient’s MileagePlus account when the transaction is complete; provided that certain transactions may take up to 48 hours.
- Bonus miles count towards the 175,000 mile annual limit per account.
- Purchase up to 175,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
- Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
- Pricing is only available for purchases made through buymiles.mileageplus.com
- Miles are nonrefundable.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
- All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
- Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as ‘Points United Miles’.