IHG Rewards Club launched the last PointBreaks hotels back on May 28 (read more here) that are valid for bookings (whatever is left) until August 31, 2019.
Readers have already emailed us and I have tried to get confirmation from IHG as to when the new PointBreals are out. The most common schedule is that they are released for bookings on the last Monday each month.
You can access IHG’s page for PointBreaks here.
There have been couple of times when PointBreaks have not been released on Monday but on Tuesday (or could be even Wednesday this time) like the last time on May 28. The Monday after would already be September 2.
My best educated guess is that the new PointBreaks will go live at noon on Monday or Tuesday, although we have not received confirmation from IHG.
We will have a post up as soon as the new PointBreaks have been released.
Here are some things that you should consider when booking PointBreaks hotels:
- You are only allowed to make two reservations using PointBreaks rate per each hotel according to the terms and conditions. Each of the reservations can be for as many days as you want or the award availability exists.
- The booking window for the new PointBreaks will open at noon EST per IHG (previous few rounds).
- You should be firm on the dates, as you can no longer modify the reservation(s) once the hotel has dropped off from the PointBreaks list or the award inventory is gone. You can usually shorten your stay and get the points back for the nights you didn’t use, however.
- Once the PointBreaks allocation has been used, the hotel will become available for awards at their usual point requirement level.
- The hotel cannot see what kind of award you have used (they book into regular award inventory). They get the same reimbursement for PointBreaks as they get for regular award nights.
- PointBreaks book into the regular award inventory. If there are no awards available now, there won’t be PointBreaks either unless someone cancels their reservation.
- The more popular PointBreaks hotels tend to get their award inventory exhausted within couple of hours after going live.
So, they should go live either Monday (likely) or Tuesday. We usually get advance notice at least about the date and time, but this time around haven’t (at least not yet).
We will monitor the situation (as we always do) and will have a post up when we have new information.