American Airlines AAdvantage has launched a 25% conversion bonus when transferring points from hotel loyalty programs over to AAdvantage in from now through October 30, 2019.
You can access American AAdvantage’s website here to have a closer look at the promotion.
Here’s conversion example from Marriott to AAdvantage:
60,000 points = 20,000 AAdvantage Miles
+ 5,000 bonus miles from Marriott
+ 6,250 miles (25% bonus)
= 31,250 Aeroplan Miles
Transfers to miles from your Marriott account can be initiated here.
You can also transfer from the following programs:
- Best Western Rewards
- Choice Privileges
- IHG Rewards Club
- Marriott Bonvoy
The transfer ratio from programs other than Marriott Bonvoy isn’t exactly great so I’d think twice about the value of your hotel points before moving them to American AAdvantage.
Registration for this offer is required prior to the transfer in order to receive the bonus, you just follow the steps outlined in the promotion section of the AA website when logging into your account.
This means that Marriott travel packages would not apply to the discount. Not sure if there is a way AAdvantage could differentiate this from a regular transaction but at least officially it’s excluded.
Keep in mind the 25% bonus miles don’t post immediately so if you plan to book an award immediately remember that this amount isn’t available in the account right away. As per T&C that takes up to 7 days.
This is a good time to move your hotel points in order to book air tickets with AAdvantage. Depending on how flexible the plans are I’d probably not move any points unless you have a firm itinerary in mind and refrain from transferring otherwise.
25% bonus are nice but as long as the points are sitting with the hotel program it’s a very flexible currency but once transferred you’re boxed in to redeem them for flights.
These are the Terms & Conditions for the campaign:
Promotion code: HT925
- To qualify for this offer, you must initiate the AAdvantage® mileage conversions with participating eligible hotel partners and be in good standing in the AAdvantage® program
- Register and initiate your conversions by 11:59 p.m. CDT on October 30, 2019, for your conversions to count toward this promotion
- The name in your AAdvantage® account must match the name in your participating eligible hotel partner account
- Conversions completed before registration don’t count toward this promotion
- You can convert multiple times with multiple hotel partners
- Conversions for hotel and air packages from hotel partners aren’t included for this offer
- This offer is non-transferable and can’t be combined with any other offers
- Bonus miles will be posted to your AAdvantage® account within 7 business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by the participating hotel partner
- If a hotel partner reverses an award of miles, American Airlines reserves the right to adjust the bonus miles awarded to you under this offer
- Bonus miles earned in this promotion don’t count toward elite-status qualification
- American isn’t responsible for products or services offered by hotel partners and assumes no responsibility for how hotel partners count qualified conversions
- Check with the participating hotel partners to confirm what counts as a qualified conversion
- American may, at any time and without notice, change, stop or end this promotion in part or in full
- Additional terms may apply