United Airlines has launched new MileagePlus buy miles sale that is valid for purchases made through November 5, 2019. You can check your bonus or discount offer on United’s website here.
United Airlines has promotions every month for buying miles, but they all max out at a 100% bonus or a 50% discount (the same offer because United usually limits the number of miles one can purchase per year, including any possible bonuses to 175K).
You can access and see your bonus on United’s website here.
Note that this sale may be only available for members in North America.
Here’s the bonus schedule:
Price at 85% bonus:
The cost of a mile at 85% bonus is 2.03 cents.
Does it make sense to purchase United miles?
If you use them for international business or first-class tickets between expensive city pairs, then the answer is likely yes. United is “enhancing” its MileagePlus program later this year. You can read more about these changes here.
Unless your bonus is 100% or discount 50%, I would wait for a better offer to come around if you don’t need the miles right now.
It is uncertain how valuable United’s miles are in the future when the airline no longer publishes award charts (easier to devalue them).
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
1. Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT on November 5, 2019.
2. Bonus miles count toward the 175,000-mile annual limit per account.
3. You may purchase up to 175,000 miles per account per calendar year.
4. Bonus miles will generally be credited to the recipient’s MileagePlus account when the transaction is complete; provided that certain transactions may take up to 48 hours.
5. Bonuses will be calculated on a per transaction basis only.
6. The bonus amount applicable to a transaction is shown in the chart.
7. Transactions may not be aggregated to calculate the bonus.
8. The credit card used in the transaction will be billed immediately upon purchase.
9. Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
10. Miles purchased are nonrefundable.
11. Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
12. All MileagePlus Program rules and terms and conditions apply.
13. GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents.
14. Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as ‘Points United Miles’.
15. Pricing is only available for purchases made through buymiles.mileageplus.com