World of Hyatt today announced changedsto its awards that will come to effect in January and March 2020.
Hyatt is introducing off-peak and peak awards in March, and the value of points used towards hotel credits is positively enhanced in January.
You can access Hyatt’s page for changes here.
Here are changes instituted by Hyatt:
- If the redemption amount for a night on an existing award reservation is lowered to Off-peak in March, we’ll automatically refund the point difference, and if it goes to Peak, you won’t be charged any more points.
- Points + Cash will also offer Off-peak and Peak point redemption. The cash required will still be 50% of the rate.
- Free nights in suites will also be offered at Off-peak and Peak redemption.
- You’ll have plenty of time to plan ahead. Redemption rates for free nights will be announced as soon as nights are available for reservations (usually 13 months in advance), and won’t change once posted. A new online calendar will help you plan (coming soon).
- Hotel award categories aren’t changing – there are still 8.
Here are are the updated award charts (see the complete list on Hyatt’s website):
Points as a property credit:
You can assume that when you want to redeem for award nights, it will be peak period and cost more points compared to today. This could be beneficial for those members that redeem during off-season, but paid rates then are low too.
The change in the number of points required for hotel credits is a positive enhancement if one considers this reasonable use of points.