Airlines in the United States are trying to stimulate demand by offering change fee waivers for newly issued tickets as the coronavirus continues to spread even within the US.
American Airlines is the latest airline that is offering waivers for tickets issued between March 1 – 16, 2020. Fees are waived for one change that is made at minimum 14 days before the original departure flight.
You can access AA’s page fee waiver here.
Here are the waiver conditions:
Updated March 1, 2020
If you purchased your tickets directly from American Airlines, you may change your flight once without paying a change fee if the change is made at least 14 days in advance of your outbound travel date. Tickets must be purchased between March 1, 2020 at 4:30pm CST and March 16, 2020 at 11:59pm CST for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 26, 2021.
- We will waive the change fee only for tickets purchased between March 1, 2020 and March 16, 2020, with original travel between March 1, 2020 and January 26, 2021.
- Tickets must be changed at least 14 days prior to the departure of your original flight.
- New travel must be completed within one year of original ticket issue date.
- Any difference in fare will apply.
- Change your trip online or by calling Reservations.
It is a very challenging time for both airlines and hotels, as many companies have ended most non-urgent domestic and international travel.
Not sure how effective these fee waivers are. Perhaps, if they would allow you to refund the purchase ticket, they could capture some revenue.