Qatar Airways Privilege Club members have been able to buy Qmiles (award miles), but the airline is now also selling Qpoints (elite qualifying points).
Privilege Club members can buy Qpoints once every 36 months to either maintain or upgrade their tier by one level.
You can access Qatar’s page for buying Qpoints here.
Here are the purchase limit of Qpoints:
Here are things to consider:
– Burgundy, Silver, and Gold Privilege Club members can buy Qpoints to upgrade their tier.
– Silver, Gold, and Platinum Privilege Club members can buy Qpoints to maintain their tier.
– Each Qpoints costs $25.
– You can only make ONE Qpoints purchase every 36 months.
– The purchase counts as Qatar Airways activity for elite purposes (min 20% or four sectors).
I am sure that there will be other airlines that will tap into this opportunity to get some cash in by essentially selling the renewal of the elite status or the next tier.
Here are the terms and conditions of this program:
Platinum, Gold and Silver members can buy Qpoints to retain their tier. Gold, Silver and Burgundy members can buy Qpoints to upgrade to the next tier.
Membership tier Purchase limit for Qpoints Tier retention Tier upgrade Platinum 150 Not applicable Gold 80 150 Silver 40 80 Burgundy Not applicable 40
● Qpoints purchased shall count towards the minimum activity required within a membership year to qualify for tier retention or upgrade, i.e. you will need to have earned at least 20% of your Qpoints or have flown 4 sectors (within 12 months prior to retention) on flights either marketed or operated by Qatar Airways;
● You can only make a one-time purchase of Qpoints in 36 months. For example, as a Burgundy member, the Qpoints purchase limit for an upgrade to Silver tier is 40 Qpoints. If you buy 5 Qpoints, you will not be able to return to buy the balance of 35 Qpoints. You would only be able to buy Qpoints again after 36 months. Therefore, you need to be sure of the number of Qpoints required before initiating a purchase transaction.
● * Marketed refers to the airline whose flight number is specified on your booking. ** Operated refers to the airline you are flying on.
● All standard Privilege Club programme terms and conditions apply.