Marriott has updated its coronavirus (COVID-19) reservation policies as of June 3, 2020 (didn’t push the update to the website until yesterday), that waives all cancellation fees and refunds prepayments.
The update that was instituted yesterday deals with extending the waiver from June 30 to July 5, 2020 (covers the 4th of July holiday).
You can access Marriott’s page for COVID-19 here.
Marriott coronavirus (COVID-19) reservation policy waives all cancellation fees and refunds prepayments for all existing reservations for any arrival date if done 24 hours before the scheduled arrival or by July 5, 2020.
Reservations made between March 13 – July 5, 2020, for any arrival date, can also be canceled without penalties for up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival. Marriott will also waive points expiration, and extends Suite Night Awards and certificates.
Here’s the update:
Our Cancellation Policy:
In response to changing marketplace conditions, Marriott International is committed to ensuring our customers experience flexibility during these challenging times.
For all Marriott International hotels world-wide, we are implementing the following policies:
- For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, we will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival,* as long as the change or cancellation is made by July 5, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and July 5, 2020, we will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.* Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
Please note that this policy does not apply to travel associated with a Group booking. For guests with Group reservations (e.g., for meetings, events or conferences), please review the booking rate rules and contact the group organizer for more information.
- Some exclusions may apply. May exclude periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks. Please refer to the property’s Rate Details for applicable terms or exceptions, if any, when booking or changing reservations.
- Individual (transient) guestroom reservation refunds of any kind (e.g., cash or credit voucher) may take up to 90 days from the date of cancellation to be processed. The form and timing of refund may be subject to applicable laws where each hotel is located.
- Design Hotels and Homes & Villas by Marriott International (HVMI) are excluded from this policy. HVMI-specific cancellation guidance is available here.
- Marriott Vacations Worldwide (e.g., Marriott, Sheraton and Westin Vacation Ownership resorts) is included in this policy for transient reservations only. For owner occupancy reservations, or if you received a rental cancellation notice, please visit https://hub.vacationclub.com.
- For group organizer questions on terms and conditions of group contracts, please contact the hotel.
Here are other Marriott Covid-19 policies:
Detailed information on how Marriott hotels will deal with cleanliness.
Marriott has launched a new cleanliness campaign due to Covid-19.
Even more cleaning!
Marriott’s Commitment to Cleanliness-Email
Marriott Bonvoy extends elite tiers by a year through February 2022.
Marriott Bonvoy is extending points expiration, suite and free night awards
Marriott CEO’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Marriott has suspended brand standards and loyalty guarantees.
Weird that Marriott changed the reservation cancellation policy by mere FIVE DAYS when Hyatt already pushed it the other day until July 31, 2021.
Hotels would do themselves a favor by only offering fully cancelable and refundable rates for the foreseeable future until this Covid-19 pandemic with multiple waves is over. We are now on month 6 to something that will likely last 18 to 24 months.