Southwest Airlines today announced that it would allow Rapid Rewards members to convert Travel Funds sitting on their accounts to points.
The airline allows members to convert the funds to points at the same ratio you would need to purchase a similar value ticket today.
You can access Southwest Airlines here.
Here’s the announcement from the airline:
Southwest Airlines announced today it will allow qualified travel funds to be converted to Rapid Rewards® points now through December 15, 2020. This will provide Southwest Airlines Customers even greater flexibility.
Members who have travel funds that meet specific qualifications will be able to convert their travel funds into Rapid Rewards points at the same rate they would be able to purchase a ticket with points today.
Travel Funds that Qualify to Convert to Rapid Rewards Points:
- Customer must be a Rapid Rewards Member.
- Travel fund must expire September 7, 2022.
- The first and last name on the travel fund must match what is on their Rapid Rewards Account.
- Travel fund must originate from a ticket purchased on Southwest.com or booked by a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative.
- Travel funds from corporate tickets (SWABIZ) are not eligible for conversion unless their company specifically requested this for their travelers.
Customers can check the expiration date of their travel funds by going to “View Travel Funds” on Southwest.com. If Customers are not yet Rapid Rewards Members, they can join and then convert their qualified travel funds online.
There are some benefits of converting travel funds to Rapid Rewards points, including that they don’t expire, and, unlike funds, you can use the points to issue tickets to anyone.
It is good to have more options for travel funds that you may have sitting in your account.