Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines, has launched an interesting product for domestic flights called Passport.
Passengers can purchase 3 or 6 months long travel passes (Firefly Passport) for a flat fee that allows unlimited travel on the domestic network.
You can access this offer on Firefly’s website here.
Note that Firefly sells these passes only August 24 – 30, 2020. You can buy a 3-months pass for 399 MYR ($96) and 6-months one for 699 MYR ($167). The pass covers the base fare. Taxes and extras must be paid separately.
You must book the flights using this pass a minimum of 7 days before, and the pass is forfeited if you no show twice.
It is unclear what routes are operating right now, but Firefly lists the following on its website:
- Firefly flies from our main hub in Subang (Kuala Lumpur) to Penang, Langkawi, Kota Bharu, Kuala Terengganu, Johor Bahru and Alor Setar. Firefly also flies to Singapore from Subang (Kuala Lumpur), Ipoh and Kuantan.
- Firefly also operates from our Penang hub offering flights from Penang to Subang (Kuala Lumpur), Kota Bharu, Kuantan and Langkawi. Regional routes include Thailand (Phuket) and Indonesia (Banda Aceh, Medan).
Note that this pass does not cover international flights.
AirAsia had in Malaysia a similar pass for sale earlier this year that is likely a loss for its purchasers due to the Covid-19.
The Firefly network within Malaysia is quite limited, but the price of this Passport is not a lot. Travel pass could be a deal for someone who commutes between cities that the airline serves.
I have flown Firefly twice, once from Koh Samui to Subang, and at other time from Phuket to Penang. Perfectly acceptable airline for such short flights. Not sure why Malaysia Airlines have decided to keep such as small brand separate?
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
- Only Firefly member will be able to purchase Firefly Travel Pass
- Purchase and book your flight using Firefly Passport seven (7) days ahead, subject to seat availability via Firefly Passport website: https://travelpass.fireflyz.com.my
- Flight changes for Firefly Passport can be done seven (7) days ahead, subject to seat availability and change fee is applicable. Flight changes can ONLY be made through Firefly Passport website: https://travelpass.fireflyz.com.my
- Name change not allowed for Firefly Passport
- Change destination not allowed for Firefly Passport
- The Firefly Passport is non-transferable and non-refundable
- There are no refund of Passenger Fuel Surcharge (YQ) if NO SHOW for Firefly Passport booking and pass will be forfeited after two (2) times
- Upgrade to FlyPremier/FlyInfinite not allowed for Firefly Passport
- Add-on products can be purchased separately
- Passenger name should be entered in full as per official travel documents used and as per in Firefly Passport account
- The Firefly Passport is not available for Firefly Holiday and Codeshare bookings
- The Firefly Passport is only available to be purchased by Firefly traveller on Firefly’s Passport website: https://travelpass.fireflyz.com.my
- Firefly Passport is only valid for base fare and does not include any add-ons, surcharges, taxes, and SST