IHG has today (August 31) updated its global Covid-19 reservation cancellation policy that is now valid until September 30, 2020.
Reservations booked before April 6, 2020, can be canceled for any future date if done by September 30, and reservations made on or after April 6 can be canceled without a fee for stays through September 30.
You can access IHG’s page for coronavirus here.
Things to note:
- For bookings made prior to April 6, 2020: Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for all future arrivals can be
cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until September 30, 2020.
- For bookings made from April 6 to September 30: Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for arrivals up to and including September 30, can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until September 30, 2020.
- All reservations made from October 1, 2020 will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked
Here’s the updated policy:
Given the flexibility our guests and customers need right now we have implemented the following policies:
FOR EXISTING BOOKINGS MADE UP TO AND INCLUDING SEPTEMBER 30, 2020:
With continued changes of government travel advice, guests who have made non-refundable/pre-paid reservations may want to consider changes to trips already booked.
Please note, all bookings (made directly with IHG), including non-refundable/pre-paid rates, can be changed without charge – although changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing. Please see the booking information on your booking confirmation for details on the time period for any changes to bookings.
FOR BOOKINGS MADE PRIOR TO APRIL 6, 2020:
- Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for all future arrivals can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until September 30, 2020*.
- From October 1, 2020, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.
FOR BOOKINGS MADE FROM APRIL 6 TO SEPTEMBER 30:
- Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for arrivals up to and including September 30, can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until September 30, 2020*.
- For arrivals from October 1, 2020, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked. Other rates have flexibility built in to the terms and conditions, including cancellation options. Please consult the terms and conditions of your booking for more details.
- Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances. (including the type and timing of the refund)
- If you cancel a rate which required a deposit or payment in advance, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Refunds (which may be vouchers where allowed by local law) may take up to 90 days for hotels to process from the date of cancellation. Reservations may be changed without a fee but may result in different pricing.
- Exclusions may apply for time periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks and policies may vary by hotel depending on the status of the special event.
- Bookings via a third-party: For bookings made through an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) or third-party travel professionals, please contact them directly – we have advised these companies of our cancellation policy and you should refer to their terms and conditions.
- Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further – If the hotel is unavailable, send an email to email@example.com.
- *Excludes hotels in all IHG hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and the Taiwan region. Cancellation fees for existing and new domestic bookings were eligible to be waived for stays up to April 30, 2020. Exceptions apply at some Six Senses hotels – see the Six Senses website for details
We continue to monitor the evolving situation and will be keeping this policy under review.
FOR NEW BOOKINGS MADE FROM OCTOBER 1, 2020 ONWARDS:
All reservations made from October 1, 2020 will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.
Please carefully check the terms and conditions when you make a booking as they may include non-refundable pre-payment or other restrictions.
We want to help you plan and book any future travel with confidence. So, we have several ways to support guests to book and amend travel plans as necessary:
- Book Now, Pay Later: This new rate offers flexibility and savings. With no deposit required and cancellations possible up to 24 hours before your stay for direct bookings, travel planning is commitment free. Guests benefit from 5% or more off our Best Flexible Rate for bookings for stays until December 30, 2020 (excluding Greater China).
- Best Flexible Rate: This rate offers maximum flexibility to change or cancel your reservation. For direct bookings this rate can be fully changeable or refundable 24 hours in advance and in some cases up to 6pm (local hotel time) on the day of arrival (dependent on the hotels’ individual house policy).
- IHG Rewards Club Members Rates: Additional savings are available for IHG Rewards Club members on these Book Now, Pay Later and Best Flexible rates.
- IHG Rewards Club nights: You can change or cancel these bookings with no penalty prior to the time period set by the hotel.
- These rates, and others, have their own terms and conditions. This may include non-refundable pre-payment or other restrictions. Please refer to specific rate information when booking for further details – including cancellation and change terms. Changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing.
Here are IHG’s other Covid-19 policies:
IHG has a new Clean Promise.
IHG Rewards Club extends tiers by a year and free nights too.
IHG has extended Royal Ambassador and Inner Circle tiers by a year through January 2022.
IHG has lowered elite tier requirements for 2020.
IHG has extended Ambassador memberships for the second time.
IHG has waived points expiry through December 31, 2020.
IHG Rewards Club has launched a status extension policy for members whose account address is in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, or Taiwan on or before February 17.
The updated policy applies for stays booked on or before April 6, 2020, for any arrival date if canceled by September 30, 2020, and later reservations until that date.
Covid-19 won’t go away anytime soon, and I believe that IHG will have to update this policy in a month.
There are fewer pre-Covid-19 reservations considering how long this has been going on now, and most IHG’s rates now offer greater flexibility (can be canceled without a fee or one-night penalty).