Canadian / U.S. Border Likely To Remain Closed Through (At Least) December 21, 2020

7 Comments

Sources have told the media that Canadian borders (land and air) will likely remain closed to non-essential travel for yet another month, extending the current measures through at least December 21, 2020.

Most foreign visitors are still banned from entering Canada and a 14-day quarantine requirement is imposed for those that do, including Canadian citizens.

The restrictions on travel between Canada and the United States is now stretching into it’s third quarter just like we’ve seen with most other international crossings.

Canadians can still travel to the U.S. by air for both business and leisure but Canada is closed to U.S. citizens except for certain circumstances like driving by car up to Alaska and by obtaining special exemptions.

There have already been several decisions made this year that severely impacted travel between Canada, Alaska and “the lower 48” especially when it came to cruise travel. Especially with British Columbia shutting down all their ports since spring, essentially killing the Alaska cruise season with huge economic consequences for both B.C. and the Alaskan coastal towns.

CTV now reports based on sources in the government that the border closure will be extended by yet another month.

The COVID-19 travel restrictions in place at the Canada-U.S. land border are expected to remain in effect for at least another month, sources tell CTV News.

The current agreement on the U.S.-Canada border closure to non-essential travel was first imposed in March to limit the spread of the virus. The restrictions have been renewed every month since. The current extension is set to expire on Nov. 21, but sources tell CTV News that the measures are set to be renewed through to Dec. 21.

Tourists and cross-border visits remain prohibited, although trade and commerce are exempted as are certain family members and loved ones who can make a case on compassionate grounds to be allowed into Canada from the U.S., as well as from other countries, under a series of stipulations. …

Without confirming that the cross-border closure extension had been agreed to, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair’s office told CTVNews.ca that the decision about continuing the closures for another month “will be made in Canada, with the best interest of Canadians as our top priority.”

Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam has previously said the assessment of when it will be safe to allow recreational travel to resume between Canada and the U.S. is ongoing, and that Canadian health officials are in regular contact with U.S. public health authorities, including the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. …

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE