In search of extra revenue, Turkish Airlines is introducing much hated, among passengers, seat selection fees starting on January 1, 2021.
Economy class passengers should be ready to pay $9 to $109 per segment if they decide to choose their seats before online check-in opens. This fee is only waived for Miles&SMiles Elite and Elite+ members. Star Alliance Gold members don’t get any extra consideration.
You can access the Turkish page for the fees here.
Passengers can pay to select their seats up to 26 before the flight is scheduled to take off. You can choose your seat, excluding exit rows, during the online check-in process.
Only the following groups are excluded from these fees:
Miles&Smiles “Elite” and “Elite Plus” members, corporate members and sailors
I find it annoying and unfortunate when airlines charge these fees for alliance program elite members—it kind of defies the purpose of the alliance in the first place from the consumer perspective.
British Airlines charges these fees even for business class assignments if you are not an elite member. Qatar recently introduced business class fares without lounge access.
Change such as this makes me slightly less inclined to choose Turkish Airlines if flying on a short-haul flight in economy.
Here’s the information from Turkish:
Our seats are designed for maximum comfort; Choose a seat before your flight to enhance your flight experience. Read and review all our information regarding seat selection before your flight to ensure a smooth journey.,
Seat selection and seat purchase
- On Turkish Airlines international Economy Class flights, standard seat selection (for flights after January 1, 2021 (included)), extra legroom selection and emergency exit seat selection can be made for a fee 355 days before the flight until up to 26 hours before departure. All seats can be selected free of charge within the last 26 hours of boarding, but passengers who have not previously purchased an emergency exit seat will not be able to check-in their emergency exit seats during this process.
- On Turkish Airlines international and domestic flights, for passengers who have not purchased a seat for the domestic segment until up to 24 hours before the flight, a seat is randomly assigned during the check-in process.
- On Turkish Airlines domestic flights, standard seats in the Economy Class cabin for ExtraFly and PremiumFly package selections are available free of charge until 1.5 hours left to flight, and standard seats in the EcoFly package selections are available at a fee until up to 6 hours before flight. Extra legroom seats and emergency exit seats are available for all packages with a fee until 6 hours until the flight. For passengers who have purchased an EcoFly package flight and have not purchased a seat until there are 6 hours remaining, a random seat assignment is made during the check-in process. On Turkish Airlines and AnadoluJet domestic flights, Premium Fly and Extra Fly package seat selection is free of charge with web and mobile transactions. There is paid standard seat selection for the EcoFly package.
- For Turkish Airlines domestic flights, our Miles & Smiles “Elite” and “Elite Plus” members can choose standard seats free of charge for all packages within the respective time periods. This application does not apply to award tickets and AnadoluJet flights.
- For Turkish Airlines international flights, our Miles&Smiles “Elite” and “Elite Plus” members, corporate members and sailors can choose standard seats free of charge for all packages within the respective time periods.
- On AnadoluJet domestic and Northern Cyprus (Ercan) flights, ExtraFly (ExtraJet) and PremiumFly (ComfortJet) package standard seat selection is available free of charge until up to 90 minutes before flight via Turkish Airlines online channels and EcoFly (Standard) package seat selection is available with a fee until up to 6 hours before the flight. Extra legroom seats and emergency exit seats are available for all packages with a fee until up to 6 hours before the flight. For passengers who have purchased an EcoFly (Standard) package flight and have not purchased a seat for up to 6 hours, a random seat assignment is made during the check-in process.
- For AnadoluJet international (except Northern Cyprus) flights, seats can be selected up to 26 hours before the flight.
- On AnadoluJet flights, ExtraFly (EkstraJet) and PremiumFly (KonforJet) package standard seat selection is available free of charge until up to 1.5 hours before flight via Turkish Airlines online channels and EcoFly (Standard) package seat selection is available with a fee until up to 6 hours before the flight. Extra legroom seats and emergency exit seats are available for all packages with a fee until up to 6 hours before the flight. For passengers who have purchased an EcoFly (Standard) package flight and have not purchased a seat for up to 6 hours, a random seat assignment is made during the check-in process.
- On Turkish Airlines international and domestic flights, the Business Class seat selection is free of charge until the check-in duration is finished.
- Paid seat selection is only available to passengers holding tickets. Free seat selection can also be made for flights with a reservation.
- Sick and mobility-impaired passengers can choose aisle or windowside seats so as not to block the in-cabin emergency exit on all flights.Paid seat selection is only valid for group passengers (reservations with more than 9 passengers) where reservations have been made directly with the Turkish Airlines Reservations System.
- This practice is not applicable on codeshare (partner) flights operated by other airlines.
- Only passengers that are able to help in the event of an unexpected evacuation, are allowed to sit in the emergency exit seats. Said passengers must be over 18, proficient in Turkish or English and able to understand any written or oral instructions given in either language, as well as able-bodied and in good health.
- Passengers wishing to sit in an emergency exit seat must confirm they are eligible when requested.
- The emergency exit seat is not suitable for passengers with infants, passengers with restricted movement, or passengers whose size necessitates a second seat belt.
- Extra-legroom seats and emergency exit seats are not suitable for passengers traveling with a pet, a guide dog or an emotional support dog.
- As cabin crew are required to ensure that passengers who are seated in the emergency exit row comply with Emergency Exit Seating Requirements, seat changes for passengers who do not meet the requirements can be made by them.
- For technical and operational reasons paid/unpaid seat selection is not available on some flights.
- Due to safety, security and operational reasons, seat selection cannot be guaranteed. In such cases, Turkish Airlines will provide the most suitable alternative.
- If the purchased seat is changed because of Turkish Airlines systems or for operational reasons, the seat fee may be refunded. However, it is not possible to reimburse any fee, including the ticket fare, due to this change.
- Passengers which purchase seat selection may only use this on the flight for which they purchased it an on their own behalf. Selection may not be transferred to another flight or passenger.
- It is possible to change free seats within a ceratin duration of time, but it is not possible to change paid seats.
Seat selection cancellation and refund processes
- Selected seats are also cancelled if changes are made to any of the flights or if there are any flight cancellations. The seat fee will not be refunded for changes and cancellations made on the request of the passenger.
- Refunds cannot be processed for passengers who have canceled a chargeable seat. If a passenger changes their seat for a more expensive one, they will be required to pay the new fee. If a passenger changes their seat for a less expensive seat, no refund will be processed. If a passenger is assigned an alternative seat after boarding due to operational reasons, they may apply for a refund. Turkish Airlines holds sole discretion when deciding if a passenger meets the requirements to sit in an emergency exit seat. Passengers not meeting the requirements will be offered another seat. Additional fees paid for emergency exit seats cannot be refunded. Passengers who purchase seat selection and then upgrade to Business Class cannot have thier seat selection fee refunded.
- Applications for refunds must be made with 1 year of the flight.
Selected and paid seat check-in processes
- Online and mobile check-in for Turkish Airlines international and domestic flights starts 24 hours before the flight. You can visit our check-in page for the check-in process for the seats you have selected or purchased.
Route Flight class Seat type Fees Selection period All flights Business Class All seats Free 355 days before flight Domestic flights Economy Class Standard 35.00 TRY 355 days before flight Domestic flights EconomyClass Seats with more leg room 50.00 TRY 355 days before flight International flights Economy Class Standard 9.00 USD – 39.00 USD 355 days before the flight International flights Economy Class Seats with more leg room 19.00 USD – 109.00 USD 355 days before flight AnadoluJet domestic and Northern Cyprus (Ercan) flights Economy Class All seats 15.00 TRY – 40.00 TRY 355 days – 6 hours before flight AnadoluJet international (Except Northern Cyprus) seats Economy Class All seats 6.00 USD – 21.00 USD 355 days – 26 hours before flight