British Airways has launched a new offer to earn an upgrade voucher by flying 250 (for one) or 500 (for two) Tier Points.
Eligible Executive Club Gold and Gold Guest List members can earn a voucher for one or two by flying the required Tier Points between December 9 – March 31, 2021.
You can access this offer on BA’s website here.
Note that this offer is available only to Gold and Gold Guest List-members that BA has preselected.
There is no requirement to earn the Tier Points from flights operated or marketed by British Airways. All tier points earning flights qualify, including those operated by partner airlines such as American Airlines, Iberia, and Finnair.
Gold Upgrade vouchers allow passengers to upgrade their ticketed flight if there is certain fare class availability in a higher cabin.
Gold Guest List members can upgrade easier by using yearly waivers (upgrade books into higher revenue class – sometimes positive surprises when flights are credited).
You can also use them to upgrade award flights.
There are limits on itineraries to which these vouchers can be applied to. Usually, there should not be flights operated by other airlines (BA only), although sometimes I have been able to gardener itineraries, including Iberia and Cathay Pacific flights).
One voucher can be used to upgrade an entire itinerary (both out and inbound flights).
I still have three unused upgrade vouchers:
BA’s Golden Opportunity email:
These upgrade vouchers are one of the best benefits of BA’s Executive Club and the fact that you can also upgrade award flights. They are more useful if you are Gold Guest List-member (availability override).
I most recently used one earlier this year to upgrade Sao Paulo – London (long stopover) – Johannesburg from World Traveler Plus to Business. If I had wanted a return, I could have upgraded it using the same voucher.
I usually have some expiring due to limitations on how they can be used, and I don’t tend to upgrade short-haul flights from economy to business because I have more room on an exit row. I tend to not partake in BA’s “gourmet” food and beverage options on these short flights.
Good offer for those who are eligible. I did not get the email invitation from BA but was able to register regardless. I have no plans to take paid Oneworld Alliance lights in the first quarter of 2021.
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
1. This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a British Airways (“BA”) Executive Club Gold or Gold Guest List Member preselected by British Airways and in receipt of the email invitation British Airways reserves the right to verify the eligibility of Eligible Participants. By taking part in the promotion, Eligible Participants confirm that they accept the Terms and Conditions set out below.
Registration and Promotion dates
2. All Eligible Participants must preregister in order to receive the offer, and subsequently fulfil the requirements of the offer set out in clause 7 in order to receive either a Gold Upgrade for One Voucher or a Gold Upgrade for Two Voucher.
3. Eligible Participants must register between 9 December 2020 and 31 March 2021 (Promotional Period), at ba.com/golden-opportunity before booking and follow the “Register now” link provided. A “thank you” message will be displayed to confirm that your registration has been successful.
4. Preregistered Eligible Participants must fulfil the requirements of the offer set out in clause 7 by 23:59 GMT 31 March 2021 to receive either a Gold Upgrade for One Voucher or a Gold Upgrade for Two Voucher.
5. By registering for this campaign, you agree to British Airways contacting you with further information regarding this promotion.
6. You will be responsible for ensuring all contact details held within your Executive Club account are accurate. If your contact details are not up to date please Log in to your account to update your details.
7.1 Preregistered Eligible Participants must book and fly between a minimum of 250 – 500 Tier Points between 9 December 2020 and 31 March 2021 in order to receive a Gold Upgrade for One Voucher.
7.2 Preregistered Eligible Participants must earn at least 500 Tier Points on flights booked after registration to the offer, flown by 31 March 2021, in order to receive a Gold Upgrade for Two Voucher.
7.3 Only one voucher can be claimed by each Preregistered Eligible Participant. Once 500 Tier Points are acquired the Preregistered Eligible Participant will receive a Gold Upgrade for Two Voucher only.
8. Tier Points can only be earned for travel on eligible Sectors at eligible fares on either British Airways flights or on eligible flights of certain Airline Partners and will be earned by a Member as set out on ba.com.
8.1 British Airways reserves the right to alter the rules for earning Tier Points (for example, by altering eligible flights or fares or the number of Tier Points earned for specific Sectors). Members will be notified in advance of any changes.
8.2 Members must supply their full name and Membership Number when booking flights in order to obtain Tier Points.
9. Any Preregistered Eligible Participant who fulfils the requirements in either clause 7.1 or 7.2 shall be eligible for either a Gold Upgrade for One Voucher or Gold Upgrade for Two Voucher, respectively. A Preregistered Eligible Participant cannot qualify for both vouchers but will receive the applicable voucher based on the number of Tier Points earned at the end of the Promotional Period.
10. If the requirements in clause 7 are met by the Preregistered Eligible Participant the voucher will be provided within 30 days of the end of Promotional Period.
11.1 Gold Upgrade vouchers are a single cabin class upgrade available on a single or return booking. For example:
a) economy (Euro Traveller) to business (Club Europe)
b) economy (World Traveller) to premium economy (World Traveller Plus) (where fitted on the aircraft)
c) economy (World Traveller) to business (Club World) (where premium economy (World Traveller Plus) is not fitted on the aircraft)
d) premium economy (World Traveller Plus) to business (Club World)
e) business (Club World) to First (where fitted on the aircraft)
11.2 Upgrades using Gold Upgrade vouchers are subject to availability.
11.3 Gold Upgrade Vouchers must be used within 12 months of issue date.
11.4 Gold Upgrade Vouchers are subject to Conditions of Use.
12. There is no cash alternative or compensation available if the Preregistered Eligible Participant fails to use his/her Gold Upgrade Voucher.
13. British Airways reserves the right to cancel or amend without notice the terms of this offer and any tickets or vouchers issued at offer prices in the event of major catastrophe, war, earthquake or any actual anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of British Airways.
14. All flights are subject to the notice and conditions of contract contained on each ticket or itinerary, the Executive Club Terms and Conditions and British Airways conditions of carriage.
15. The promoter of this offer is British Airways Plc, Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton UB7 0GB. Registered No. 1777777. Offer materials form part of these Terms and Conditions. This offer is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.