Canada has instituted a mandatory three-day hotel quarantine for all incoming passengers at the cost of roughly C$2,000 per person that begins tomorrow, February 22, 2021 (read more here).
Ottawa started to solicit hotels to be used as quarantine centers in early February (read more here) in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal. The only cities that will continue to accept international arrival.
You can access Canada’s page for the Covid-19 information page here.
The 72-hour hotel quarantine is in place to conduct PCR-RT tests from all air arrivals, and those who test positive are then moved from the hotel to other government “designated” facilities.
When passengers are released from the hotel quarantine, they need to continue quarantining at their place of residence for a total of 14 nights.
Here are the current quarantine hotels:
Alberta: Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- Acclaim Hotel
- Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel
British Columbia: Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
- Fairmont Vancouver Airport
- Radisson Vancouver Airport
- The Westin Wall Centre, Vancouver Airport
Ontario: Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ)
- Alt Hotel Pearson Airport
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Toronto Airport
- Four Points by Sheraton
- Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
- Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport
Quebec: Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
- Aloft Montreal Airport
- Crowne Plaza Montreal Airport
- Holiday Inn Express and Suites Montreal Airport
- Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal
How to book the hotel:
Book your hotel
Hotel stopover bookings are managed by GB Travel Canada Inc., and are available by phone only.
If your flight to Canada is scheduled within the next 48 hours, call to reserve and pay for your mandatory 3-night hotel stopover:
- 1-800-294-8253 (toll-free within North America)
- 1-613-830-2992 (collect outside of North America)
Regular hours of operation: 8 am to 11 pm ET, 7 days a week. Calls received after hours will be limited to emergencies.
You’ll be able to choose from the listed hotel locations and be required to provide:
- traveller name(s)
- date(s) of birth
- gender (male, female, or undisclosed)
- arrival city and date
- confirmation of flight reservation
- payment information
- special requests and accessibility concerns
- pet information
- email address
Travellers will receive email confirmation of their accommodation within 4 hours of booking.
Costs of these hotel stopovers may vary by location. The price will include costs associated with the:
- infection prevention and control measures
It is unlikely that the hotel quarantine is a qualifying stay because you need to use a third-party agency to book it that likely collects a rather “hefty” commission.
The price of this three-day-long quarantine is pricey (estimated at C$2,000) compared to what ten-day and two-week quarantine costs are in the UK and Hong Kong.
Not sure if these hotels are closed entirely for non-quarantine passengers, as is usually the case for the virus not to spread. Also, there have been infections with the staff working in the quarantine hotels in Australia.
In case you have plans to stay at any of the above hotels as a non-quarantine passenger, I would cancel my reservations and rebooked something else.