\United Airlines yesterday launched a Pick Your Path promotion that allows MileagePlus Premier members to choose one of the three offers.
United already credited a quarter of the Premier Qualifying Points (PQPs) required for the status level you had in 2020 at the beginning of the year, and this new promotion offers more.
You can access this offer on United’s website here.
Here are my three offers:
United’s press release:
United Offers MileagePlus Premier Members Bonus Miles and New (Faster) Ways to Earn Premier Status
MileagePlus® Premier® members can “Pick Your Path” with three offers designed to provide value to members whether they’re ready to travel now, or if they plan to begin flying at a later date
United Airlines today introduced three new promotions that let eligible MileagePlus Premier members “Pick Your Path” depending on their upcoming travel plans. The new promotions give members the chance to fast track their Premier status or earn bonus miles and will run from April 29 to July 27, 2021. Offers include:
- A ‘Welcome-back Bonus’ promotion that gives members deposits of bonus Premier Qualifying Points (PQPs) for their first three trips.
- An ‘Easy PQP’ offer which provides member with a PQP deposit without needing to travel.
- And an offer which allows members to earn double miles through the MileagePlus X app.
“While demand for travel is steadily increasing, we recognize that different customers are beginning to return to travel at different times,” said Luc Bondar United’s vice president of marketing and loyalty and President of MileagePlus. “Offering three separate promotions allows us to meet our Premier members where they are and gives our members the opportunity to select an offer that is meaningful to them whether they’re ready to travel now or if they’d rather receive miles to save for a trip later on.”
Welcome-back Bonus PQP
United is offering an option for eligible Premier members to earn up to 25% of the outright PQPs required for their current status level with the Welcome-back Bonus PQP offer. Combined with the 25% PQP deposit that United gave members at the start of this year, members who choose this option will have the opportunity to earn half of the PQP-only requirement to requalify for their status level.
Premier members who aren’t planning any travel before July 27, 2021 can choose to receive a 10% deposit of the outright PQP requirement for their current status level with the Easy PQP option. Members will automatically receive between 350 and 1,500 PQPs depending on their status level.
Bonus Miles Through MileagePlus X
Eligible U.S.-based Premier members who prefer to save up for their next trip can choose to earn double miles (up to 10,000 bonus miles total) on all transactions made with MileagePlus X. With the MileagePlus X app, members can buy eGift cards from hundreds of merchants, dine at participating restaurants, or shop online and earn miles for each purchase.
Members have until May 13, 2021 to choose their promotion option or they will be automatically enrolled in the Welcome-back Bonus PQP offer. To be eligible, members must have held Premier status on April 19, 2021. Eligible Premier members can visit united.com/pickyourpath or sign into the MileagePlus X app to make their selection.
These new offerings build on announcements United introduced last year including reducing Premier qualifying thresholds, automatically giving members 25% of the PQP requirements for their status level and offering additional promotions for travel earlier this year. To learn about all of the changes United made to its Premier program in the last year visit https://mileageplusupdates.com/.
It seems unlikely that United would just extend member tiers this year due to these PQP promotions they have had so far this year, including this latest Pick Your Path.
Perhaps they run additional offers later in the year or offer more help for MileagePlus Premier members outside of the United States that may have a more challenging time qualifying due to various travel bans and restrictions (these won’t help a lot, someone living in Australia, for example).
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
Pick Your Path Eligibility
• Only MileagePlus members with Premier status as of April 19, 2021 are eligible for this promotion.
• The “Promotional Period” is defined as April 29, 2021 – July 27, 2021 at 11:59 PM local time.
• Eligible members will have the opportunity to choose one of three offers between April 29, 2021 and May 13, 2021 at 11:59 PM CST (the “Selection Period”):
- “Easy PQP” – bonus Premier Qualifying Points (“PQP”) that do not require flight activity
- “2X miles on United MileagePlus X app” (“MPX”) – Double miles on qualifying MPX activity
- “Welcome-back Bonus” – Bonus PQP earned by taking PQP-eligible trips on United
• Premier members who have not made an offer selection before the end of the Selection Period will be automatically enrolled in the Welcome-back Bonus offer.
• Once made, offer selection cannot be changed, including but not limited to selection by automatic enrollment in the Welcome-back Bonus offer.
“Easy PQP” Bonus PQP Deposit
• Members selecting the “Easy PQP” offer will receive one PQP deposit on or prior to May 24, 2021. The deposit amount will vary based upon the member’s Premier status as of May 13, 2021.
• PQP will be awarded as follows: Premier Silver – 350 PQP, Premier Gold – 700 PQP, Premier Platinum – 1,000 PQP and Premier 1K – 1,500 PQP.
“2X miles on United MileagePlus X app” bonus miles offer
• Members selecting the “2X miles on United MileagePlus X app” offer will receive bonus miles equal to 100% of the base miles earned from MileagePlus for MileagePlus X app transactions made within the Promotional Period. Qualifying mileage earning activity: eGift Card purchases, MileagePlus Shopping transactions, MileagePlus Dining transactions, United Visa Rewards offer completions and Featured App transactions.
• Only qualifying miles earning activity that is completed during the Promotional Period is eligible, including but not limited to completed hotel stays and completed rental car bookings. Transactions completed during the Promotional Period but before offer selection will still qualify.
• No bonus miles will be awarded under this offer for bonus miles earned in connection with another MPX offer, including but not limited to new member bonuses, spending bonuses, and the 25% bonus awarded to co-brand cardmembers on eGift Card purchases.
• Most bonus miles will be deposited within 14 days. Bonus miles for MileagePlus Shopping transactions may take up to 45 days to post to the MileagePlus account.
• A maximum of 10,000 bonus miles may be earned by a member through this offer.
• The MileagePlus X app is only available for download in the United States and will not work outside the United States.
“Welcome-Back Bonus” Flight Promotion
• PQP will be awarded as follows:
Premier Status Trip 1 Trip 2 Trip 3 Premier Silver 525 175 175 Premier Gold 1,050 350 350 Premier Platinum 1,500 500 500 Premier 1K 2,250 750 750• Only the first three PQP-eligible Trips taken during the Promotional Period will be eligible for a PQP bonus under this offer.
• “Trip” is defined as a unique travel itinerary that includes at least one PQP-eligible flight segment operated by United or United Express, as documented by a unique ticket number, and that earns PQP and is flown within the Promotional Period.
• A Trip’s first flight segment must begin no earlier than April 29, 2021 to be eligible.
• A Trip does not need to be completed prior to the end of the Promotional Period to qualify, but a United or United Express flight segment must be completed within the Promotional Period for the Trip to be eligible.
• Trips booked before the beginning of the Promotional Period that are otherwise eligible will qualify for this offer. Trips made during the Promotional Period but before offer selection will qualify.
• PQP will be earned upon completion of the first United or United Express flight segment in a Trip, but may take up to 10 days to post to the MileagePlus account.
• Travel that is not otherwise eligible for earning PQP (such as award flights) will not count towards fulfillment of a Trip for this offer.
• Bonus PQP will be awarded based upon the member’s Premier status as of May 13, 2021.
• In some cases, a Trip may include more than one ticket number including (a) when more than four coupons are included in an itinerary and another conjunctive ticket number must be issued, or (b) when a member exchanges an existing ticket for a new ticket. In these instances, the new ticket number will not be considered a new and separate Trip but will be considered part of the originally ticketed Trip.
Other important information:
• E-Ticket purchase is required for the Welcome-back Bonus flight promotion. Service charges for ticketing with a United representative in the 50 United States, District of Columbia and Canada are $25 by phone, $30 at a City Ticket Office and $35 in person at the airport. Ticketing charges may vary outside of the U.S. and Canada and based on MileagePlus status level. The ticketing service charge does not apply for tickets purchased on united.com. Service charges are subject to change without notice.
• No Premier Qualifying Flight bonuses will be given in connection with this promotion.
• MileagePlus members need to apply their MileagePlus number to the reservation prior to departure of each flight to ensure they qualify for the bonus.
• Qualifying activity must be posted to the applicable member’s United MileagePlus® account in order to qualify for this offer.
• This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
• Promotion ends at 11:59 p.m. (local time) on July 27, 2021.
• If transactions are reversed or canceled or refunds occur such that the promotion requirements are not satisfied, bonus will not be awarded to the MileagePlus member account.
• All calculations and other determinations made in connection with this offer will be made by United in its discretion and are considered final.
• Promotion is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus® program, including without limitation the Premier® program, (the “MileagePlus Program”) which are expressly incorporated herein. United® may change the MileagePlus Program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus Program, go to united.com.