We sometimes receive notes from readers whose reviews on IHG’s website were not published or shorter removed by property’s request.
I decided to dig the rules for IHG Guest Ratings and Reviews (1186 words long) that you would need to follow if you want your review to stick. IMHO, it is more worthwhile and more public to post them on Google Maps and Tripadvisor.
You can access IHG hotels here.
By submitting any ratings, reviews, personally identifiable information, photographs, or other information (“Content”) while using the Service, you represent and warrant that:
- You have recently stayed at the hotel (the “Hotel”) to which your rating and review applies;
- You are the sole author and owner of all intellectual property rights relating to the Content that you submit;
- You have attained the age of majority in the jurisdiction where you reside;
- You are not currently an employee or contractor of IHG or any of its affiliates or licensees; and
You agree that you shall not submit any of the following Content, and Reviews containing such Content will not be published:
- That is not original or that violates the rights of any third party;
- That contains the full name, email address, URL, phone number, physical address or other form of contact information or personally identifiable information of any person, including yourself;
- That is false, inaccurate or misleading;
- That is, or may reasonably be considered to be, obscene, pornographic, defamatory, libelous, hateful, racially or religiously biased or offensive, or unlawfully threatening or harassing to any individual, partnership or corporation;
- That contains critical or spiteful comments on other posted review(s) or their authors;
- That includes any concerns or claims that could lead to legal action;
- That contains advertising, pricing, or promotional details referring to any third party’s products or services;
- That contains any third party’s material that is protected by copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, other proprietary rights, or rights of publicity or privacy;
- That violates any law, statute, ordinance or regulation (including, but not limited to, those governing consumer protection, unfair competition, anti-discrimination, or false advertising);
- For which you have been, or will be, compensated or granted any type of consideration by any person or company;
- That includes any information that references other websites, addresses, email addresses, contact information or phone numbers;
- That contains any computer viruses, worms or other potentially damaging computer programs or files; or
- That is in response to a question to IHG® Rewards Club members unless you are a member;
- If the guest’s star rating selected clearly does not correspond to the sentiment expressed in the text of the review.
In addition, reviews will not be published if they contain any of the following Content:
- Full name, email address, URL, phone number, physical address or other form of contact information or personally identifiable information of any person, including yourself
- Obscenities, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
- Advertisements, “spam” content, or references to other products, offers, or websites
- Critical or spiteful comments on other review(s) posted on the page or their authors
- Pricing and promotional details referring to products or services
- Legal concerns or claims, including safety concerns, that are more appropriately handled through other channels
- Any reference to a discrepancy relating to IHG® Rewards Club membership activity
- Any reference to a hotel brand or loyalty program other than IHG brands or IHG® Rewards Club
Reasons for which published reviews may be removed from the website include, but are not limited to:
- The review is determined by IHG to be fraudulent.
- The hotel has gone through a renovation since the review was published that renders the Content of the review to be an inaccurate representation of the property.
- The hotel has undergone a change in ownership and/or management since the review was published that makes reviews relating to the quality of the hotel management and/or service an inaccurate representation of the new management and/or service.
You further agree that:
- By submitting your Content, you expressly authorize IHG and its affiliates, franchisees, and third party service providers to collect, process, translate, use and display your Content for any lawful, business-related purpose, to store the Content at and transmit it to various locations, either directly or through its third party service providers and/or franchisees, throughout the world, and to contact you regarding your Content.
- Your contact information and reservation confirmation number, check out date, and IHG® Rewards Club number will be available to the Hotel;
- For any Content that you submit using the Service, you voluntarily waive all copyright “moral rights” that you may have in such Content, and you grant IHG, its affiliates and franchisees a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable right and license, but not the obligation, to use, copy, delete in its entirety, adapt, publish, license, print, display, transmit, translate, create derivative works from and/or sell and/or distribute such Content and/or incorporate such Content into any form, medium or technology, now known or hereafter devised, throughout the world without notice or compensation to you.
- IHG does not guarantee that you will have any recourse through IHG to edit or delete any Content you have submitted. You acknowledge that you, not IHG, are responsible for your Content.
- None of the Content that you submit shall be subject to any confidentiality obligation on the part of IHG, its agents, subsidiaries, affiliates, or third party service providers or their respective directors, officers and employees.
- You will indemnify and hold IHG and its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures, employees and third-party service providers (including but not limited to Bazaarvoice, Inc.) harmless from all claims, demands, and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown (including reasonable attorneys fees), arising out of a breach of any of your representations, warranties, and agreements set forth above, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party, or your use of the Service. The failure of IHG to act with respect to a breach by you or others does not waive its right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches.
- IHG will not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary or consequential damages arising out of any use of the Service or your submission of the Content.
Essentially, IHG can, at their discretion, remove any review that they or the hotel doesn’t like.
Here are three cases of rejected reviews:
IHG is somewhat sloppy because they are still referring to Priority Club (remember that name) and IHG Rewards Club (IHG recently dropped the Club-part).
There is no point in leaving reviews on any branded websites, not only on IHG’s. Critical ones are not published because it would hurt the business of both the hotel and the IHG (those fees flowing from hotels that don’t meet the brand standards).
You should leave the reviews of Google Maps (which hurts the hotel the most) or TripAdvisor (that has merely transformed to an advertising platform for hotels that also removes critical reviews that would affect their cash flow).