Good news for customers of Taiwan’s China Airlines Dynasty Flyer as the airline has just announced their latest policy of complimentary elite tier extension for members whose status will expire soon.
In addition to this Dynasty Flyer will also extend issued awards and temporarily waive the expiration policy of miles in members accounts all while Taiwan remains more or less closed to travel.
This is already the 5th time that China Airlines is publishing a policy to provide relief to their members as outlined on their Covid related information page (extremely confusing by now) under PHASE 5.
Members were first informed via email last night where the program outlines their latest extension policies:
We deeply understand you are still worried about the expiration of membership status, awards and miles during the influence of the pandemic. Therefore, we have updated special offer for status renewal to Phase 5, and expanded applicable range for award and miles extension, including your Mandarin Airlines domestic ticket awards.
We would like to help you maintain your prestigious status and keep your precious awards to enjoy a comfortable flight with us in the future. You are welcome to click link below for details of our latest update.
There are two sections for members, one deals with the tier level and other with awards:
I suggest to disregard everything on that page and jump straight to the bottom of the page where it says PHASE 5:
Status Renewal (Phase 5)
- 1-Year Status Extension Upon Status Expiration
Current Paragon, Emerald or Gold members whose status expires between December 31st, 2021 and June 30th, 2022 will enjoy 1-year extension for their status upon expiration. No application is needed. However, Paragon and Emerald members who renew their status by this special offer will not obtain renewal gift.
- Card Delivery
New cards will be delivered after your status is extended. Because enormous members are expected to benefit from this extension every month, and air mail service to some countries and regions is temporarily suspended, card delivery may be delayed. During this period of time, you are welcome to download China Airlines App in case you need to show your card and your patience will be much appreciated. For Paragon and Emerald members, luggage tag will not be issued. You are welcome to contact our customer service centers or branch offices to apply for new luggage tags if you need as current practice.
- If you have already reached original or discounted renewal qualification stated in Phase 2, 3 and 4, your status will still be renewed for 2 years on the next day of current membership’s expiration date, which will not be affected by Phase 5. The way new cards and renewal gift are granted stated in Phase 2, 3 and 4 still remains effective.
- Mileage Extension
- Mileages which expire from December 2021 to May 2022 will be extended to June 30th , 2022 by system.
- Upgrade Awards Extension
- Unused and valid Upgrade Awards (including awards already extended to December 31st ,2021) will be automatically extended to June 30th , 2022.
- Ticket Awards Extension
- All valid ticket awards (including awards already extended to December 31st,2021) will be automatically extended to June 30th , 2022.
- Domestic Ticket Awards which expire from May 1st , 2021 to June 29th,2022 will be extended to June 30th, 2022 by system.
The three extension plans mentioned above will be automatically done by system. Application from members is not needed. Please log in your account for the updated validity (extension will be carried out gradually).
- Award Tickets Extension
- If the ticket expires during January 1st, 2020 to June 29th, 2022, whether wholly or partially used, they can be extended to June 30th, 2022, and you may also change your flight to other routes of equivalent amount of mileages. Handling surcharge and tax difference will be collected.
- If you have already paid the handling surcharge previously for award ticket extension, handling surcharge will be exempted for extension to June 30th, 2022. However, tax difference will still be collected if there is any.
- For a totally unused 1-year award ticket, another new 1-year award ticket may be issued after the original award ticket is refunded. For online promotional award ticket, only available miles can be returned after the original totally unused ticket is refunded. Subject award cannot be used to issue a new ticket.
- Application Due Date: Application must be filed on/before June 30th, 2022 (based on Taipei Local Time).
While this latest extension is commendable I feel like Dynasty Flyer has entangled itself in an extremely complicated net of rulework, timelines separate policies and updates. How many “phases” are they going to keep listed on their website in the future?
China Airlines Dynasty Flyers once again profit from a tier extension and mileage expiration waiver the airline has put in place.
With Taiwan being closed for international arrivals and rather limited use in terms of transit both China Airlines and EVA Air really have very few options other than keeping their customer base intact and extending their status as well as miles / awards.
We’re now seeing the avalanche of tier extensions get moving again as the first big carriers such as Delta have kicked it off. Who will be next?