We have followed developments surrounding Marriott’s Covid-19 cancellation waivers since the first one was released in February 2020 for stays in Greater China.
Marriott has changed the policy at least12 times, and the last one was valid until August 31, 2021. The waiver has now ended as it was not extended.
You can access Marriott’s policy for Covid-19 policies here.
Here’s the last update:
At Marriott International, we want you to plan your travel with confidence. We know that things happen unexpectedly, and you may need to adjust your plans. That’s why we offer flexible cancellation options to give you reassurance when booking your next stay with us.
For all Marriott International hotels worldwide, reservation policies are as follows:
For guests making new reservations directly with Marriott International for arrival dates on or after September 1, 2021, the individual hotel cancellation policies and rate offer rules communicated at the time of reservation will apply. Any changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
For guests with Group reservations (e.g., for meetings, events, or conferences), please review the booking rate rules and contact the group organizer for more information. Guests who booked via online travel agents or other third-party travel professionals are advised to contact their booking provider directly for further information on changing or cancelling a reservation.
- Marriott Extends Coronavirus Free Cancellation Policy Through March 15, 2020
- Marriott Coronavirus (COVID-19) Reservation Cancellation Policy
- Marriott’s Updated COVID-19 Cancellation Policy (March 13, 2020)
- Marriott Updates COVID-19 Cancellation Policy (March 30, 2020)
- Marriott Updates COVID-19 Cancellation Policy (April 6, 2020)
- Marriott Changes COVID-19 Cancellation Policy For Worse
- Marriott Updates COVID-19 Cancellation Policy (June 4, 2020)
- Marriott Updates Covid-19 Cancellation Policy For New Reservations July 6 – September 30, 2020
- Marriott Covid-19 Reservation Cancellation Waiver Valid Through March 31, 2021
- Marriott Covid-19 Reservation Cancellation Waiver Valid Through May 31, 2021
- Marriott Covid-19 Reservation Cancellation Waiver Valid Through August 31, 2021
This doesn’t mean that there are no waivers or flexible options offered by individual properties. Instead, it indicates that there is no blanket policy instituted by Marriott, however.
If hotels are not offering flexible cancellation options, they won’t get advance bookings.
Due to negative cancellation experiences with hospitality sector companies (airlines and hotels), guests/passengers avoid non-cancelable/changeable bookings due to uncertainty but do them at the last minute instead. This makes it harder for hotels and airlines to forecast demand.
Just remember to read the cancellation policies of the bookings you make (preferably book non-prepaid), and preferably, save the ones displayed during the booking process or make sure that the email confirmation you get clearly lists them.