Cathay Pacific made some changes to its AsiaMiles program effective today that negatively affect some program members.
AsiaMiles members can no longer waitlist for standard awards. Existing waitlist requests are processed if and when availability opens up. Cathay now tries to push members to use the Miles Plus Cash function instead.
You can access this update on Cathay Pacific’s website here.
Note that this doesn’t affect upgrade and companion awards that still are eligible for waitlisting.
Miles Plus Cash with all airlines tend to be not a very good method of using miles unless you have a small number of them and no better way to use them before they expire.
It is evident that Cathay Pacific tries to get members to use their AsiaMiles for Miles Plus Cash instead of awards that cannot be confirmed at the time of booking.
Awards waitlist helps members from the airline’s program to have the first dip of award inventory when it becomes available before members from partner programs have access to it. Sad to see Cathay Pacific discontinuing it.
Here are the frequently asked questions by AsiaMiles:
1. Will the waitlist function be removed for all membership tiers from 22 October 2021?
Yes, it will be removed for all membership tiers from 22 October 2021. However, current waitlist bookings are still valid and will be confirmed if redemption seats become available.
2. Will the waitlist function be unavailable on all types of Flight Award tickets?
The waitlist function will be removed from Standard Award only. Waitlists are still available for Upgrade Award and Companion Award.
3. I am a Silver or higher member of Marco Polo Club. Will the customer service team still be able to process waitlist booking requests for me and my family members?
The waitlist function will not be available from 22 October 2021, so we will not be able to arrange further waitlist bookings for Standard Awards for you. As an alternative, you could use Miles Plus Cash to book your flights and get instant seat confirmation on the Cathay Pacific website.
4. How can I make a confirmed booking if redemption seats are not available during peak travel seasons?
You can book your tickets with Miles Plus Cash on the Cathay Pacific website. This gives you instant booking confirmation, and more freedom and flexibility when you are looking for your ideal flights.
5. If my redeemed flight booking is cancelled due to flight disruptions or cancellations, can I be waitlisted for a preferred replacement flight?
For all involuntary booking changes, including flight disruptions and cancellations, members can call our service hotline for booking assistance. After the waitlist function is removed on 22 October 2021, we recommend booking your preferred flights with Miles Plus Cash on the Cathay Pacific website if the redemption seats are full.