Expedia is making changes to its Expedia Rewards programs that award points for booking hotels, air, and packages on its multiple sites.
Expedia Rewards members earn 1% back in base points for hotels, cars, cruises, and packages and 0.2% back for air. In addition, there are bonuses by booking using Expedia’s app and Silver & Gold members.
You can access Expedia here.
Previously, the number of nights consumed determined your status with the Expedia Rewards. Now, it is based on “Trip Elements” calculated based on nights and other bookings you have made.
Membership Tier Requirements:
- Silver =10 Trip Elements in a calendar year
- Gold = 25 Trip Elements in a calendar year
Earning Trip Elements
- Flights – 1 Trip Element per ticket (a roundtrip including stopover, a single flight, a leg of a multi-flight booking) where the booked flight itinerary is flown
- Hotels – 1 Trip Element per room per completed night stayed (regardless of the number of guests)
- Accommodation Rental (may have multiple rooms) – 1 Trip Element per completed night stayed
- Cruise – 1 Trip Element per cabin per night for the length of the voyage (regardless of the number of guests)
- Car – 1 Trip Element per completed car rental reservation
- Activities – 1 Trip Element per completed activity ticket booked
The number of Trip Elements you earn is based on the booking type and number of nights consumed.
Earning Expedia Rewards Points
Expedia has a chart on its website that illustrates the number of points that you earn for bookings.
It is good that Expedia rewards with points for those using their online booking platform, but the number that you earn is so insignificant that it has never swayed whether I book through them or not. Also, the VIP Access benefits for staying at select hotels are not very well defined.