IHG announced on January 19 (read more here) that its loyalty program would go through a refresh and that the new tiers would go live in March, and their social media team started to communicate last week that it was delayed by a few months (read more here).
We confirmed with the IHG spokesperson (read more here) that the refresh was delayed by a month, and IHG has now sent an email blast to program members.
You can access IHG’s page for program refresh here.
READ MORE: IHG Rewards Rate & Bonus Points Offers
Copy Of The Email:
The email above doesn’t contain any new information compared to what has been communicated earlier.
Different Version For Members With A Credit Card:
IHG here informs members that the program enhancement would go live starting on the week of April 11.
We probably will slowly start learning about the new and enhanced features of the refreshed program, if there are any, as internal property training begins in April. I doubt that IHG can keep information spreading from property employees for long.
Here are the frequently asked questions by IHG:
Current IHG Rewards Tiers
1. What is happening to my status in 2022?
All current Elite statuses (Gold, Platinum and Spire Elite) were extended through February 2023.
2. What is the current tier qualification structure?
From January 1, 2022 until the new program launches during April, the current reduced program earn structure will remain in place:
-You can qualify for Gold Elite by earning 7,000 Qualified Points or staying 7 Qualified Nights.
-You can qualify for Platinum Elite by earning 30,000 Qualified Points or staying 30 Qualified Nights.
-You can qualify for Spire Elite by earning 55,000 Qualified Points or staying 55 Qualified Nights.
New Elite Tiers
1. When will these new Elite tiers appear in my IHG Rewards account?
Your new tier structure will appear in your IHG Rewards account during April.
2. What tier will I be in after these changes take effect?
All members’ statuses have been extended through February 2023. This means that Gold Elite and Platinum Elite members’ tier names will not change during 2022. Spire Elite members will see their tier name change from Spire Elite to Diamond Elite when the new program launches.
Once the new tier structure goes live during April, using the new criteria as shown in the table below, we will start to move members who have qualified for an upgrade into a higher tier.
3. Will I be downgraded if I haven’t achieved the new nights threshold?All Elite statuses have been extended through February 2023. However, once the new program has launched, if you did not reach the qualified nights or points threshold between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022, your status will be downgraded in early 2023.
4. My status was gifted – what will happen to my status in 2022?
All Elite statuses, including those gifted, have been extended through February 2023.
5. What constitutes an Elite qualifying “night”?
This includes Nights stayed on loyalty Qualifying Rates, Reward Nights and Free Nights. A Qualifying Room Rate is a rate that is eligible to earn IHG Rewards points or airline miles. Qualifying Rates include most business and leisure rates; please see the program terms and conditions for details.
6. Will roll-over nights still exist?
In 2022, Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members’ qualified paid nights and Reward Nights that were completed in 2021 and were over and above the threshold to reach that Elite tier in 2021 will rollover into 2022 and count towards status.
In 2023, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite members’ qualified paid nights and Reward Nights that are completed in 2022 and are over and above the threshold to reach that Elite tier, will rollover into 2023 and count towards status.
Bonus Earning Structure & Benefits
1. When will the new bonus earning structure take effect?
The new bonus earning structure will take effect during April.
2. Will my points expire if I don’t use them?
As a key benefit of our program, points never expire for Elite members (now Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Diamond Elite). Points expire for Club members after 12 months of inactivity.
3. Are there new benefits associated with the new tiers and will I still receive all the current benefits associated with my tier?
We can’t reveal all the details just yet, but stay tuned for the official launch of the new IHG Rewards program later this year. You’ll hear more about our new benefits and all the updated ways to earn and redeem.
Ambassador & Royal Ambassador
1. Are the Ambassador or Royal Ambassador loyalty programs changing as part of the new IHG Rewards loyalty program?
No, we are not making changes to the Ambassador or Royal Ambassador programs at this time.
2. Is my Ambassador status being extended?
No, Ambassador status must be renewed each year.
3. Is my Royal Ambassador status being extended?
Yes, Royal Ambassador status has been extended through December 2022.
4. I’m a Royal Ambassador – will I receive a new Royal Ambassador Free Night?
Yes, all current Royal Ambassador Free Nights will expire and be reissued annually for eligible members.
5. I’m a Royal Ambassador – will I receive a new Complimentary Weekend Night certificate?
Yes, all current Complimentary Weekend Night certificates will expire and be reissued annually for eligible members.
6. I’m an Ambassador member – will I receive a new Complimentary Weekend Night certificate upon renewal?
Yes, Complimentary Weekend Night certificates expire with the Ambassador membership and new ones are issued upon renewal.
Kimpton Inner Circle
1. Is the Kimpton Inner Circle loyalty program changing as part of the new IHG Rewards loyalty program?
No, we are not making changes to the Kimpton Inner Circle program at this time.
2. Is my Inner Circle Status being extended?
Yes, Inner Circle status has been extended through December 2022.
3. Will Inner Circle members receive a new New Hotel Free Night?
Yes, New Hotel Free Nights are reissued annually in January to eligible members.