Air Canada has launched a status renewal offer for 2022 that allows Aeroplan members to retain their tier entirely on credit card spending.
Cobranded cardholders must earn 30,000 eligible Aeroplan points between January 1 – November 30, 2022. There is no need to register for this offer, and all spending from the beginning of this year qualifies.
You can access this offer on Air Canada’s website here.
Brief Promo Information:
- No registration is required.
- Offer period is January 1 to November 30, 2022 (points earned since January 1st are eligible).
- Applies to existing Aeroplan Elite members who are also the Primary Cardholder of an eligible cobrand credit card.
- Non-cardholders can participate in this offer if they open an account and earn the required number of points.
- Earn can be combined through multiple cards if members hold more than one Aeroplan co-brand credit card.
- Eligible spend by secondary cardholders will also count towards the eligible minimum earn requirement of the Primary cardholder.
- Eligible Earn includes base and category accelerator earn of Aeroplan points on your eligible Aeroplan Co-branded Credit Card.
- Exclusions: Welcome bonuses, acquisition bonuses or conversion points are excluded from counting as earn for this offer.
- *All Aeroplan cobrand cardholders are eligible for this offer.
- Elite Status Extensions will begin in June 2022, for members who already met the offer requirement. Please note, it may take up to 8 weeks for the status extension to be processed after the earn requirement is met. While we strive to expedite the Elite Status Extensions for all eligible members, this may result in a temporary loss of status for some eligible members in January 2023 while their extension is being processed.
Airlines are pivoting from awarding status from flying to spending on airline tickets, credit cards, and other partners.
It is unclear if this is a one-off offer from Air Canada or if they will launch something similar in the coming years.
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
1The Aeroplan Credit Card Maintain Your Status Offer (the “Offer”) is intended for and will only apply to the Aeroplan Elite member who is also the primary cardholder of an eligible Aeroplan co-branded credit card (the “Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card”).
The Offer is valid between January 1st, 2022 at 00:01 EST and November 30th, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. EST (inclusive) (the “Offer Period”).
To qualify for this Offer and maintain your Aeroplan Elite status level through December 31st, 2023, you must earn at least 30,000 Aeroplan points on eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card purchases (net of returns) posted to your Aeroplan account throughout the Offer Period (“Eligible Earn”). Eligible Earn includes base and category accelerator earn of Aeroplan points on your eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card, but excludes any welcome bonuses, acquisition bonuses, campaign bonuses or conversion points. Eligible Earn by secondary cardholders will also count towards the Eligible Earn of the Primary Cardholder. Please note that points earned with your eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card are deposited to your Aeroplan account a few days after the end of the credit card account billing period. As a result, it is possible that transactions charged to your card towards the end of the Offer Period will translate into Aeroplan points deposits that may not count towards this Offer.
If you do not hold an Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card, you can be eligible for this Offer if you apply and are approved for one, meet the Eligible Earn by the end of the Offer Period and meet all the other eligibility criteria of this Offer.
If you are the primary cardholder of more than one eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card, the Eligible Earn can be achieved through points earned made across all your eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Cards. For greater certainty, the Offer will only be awarded once per eligible Aeroplan member.
Your Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card account and Aeroplan account must be open and in good standing at the time the Offer is fulfilled for the Aeroplan Elite status extension to be processed. If you cancel your Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card following the Aeroplan Elite status extension, we reserve the right to reverse the Aeroplan Elite status extension.
All Aeroplan cobrand cardholders with Elite status are eligible for this Offer.
To learn more about Aeroplan credit cards, earn rates and benefits, please visit aircanada.com/cards.
The Aeroplan Elite status you hold when you meet the Eligible Earn, is the status eligible for this Offer, as more fully detailed below:
- Members who do not hold any Aeroplan Elite status are not eligible for any status extension;
- Members who are Primary Cardholders of an eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card and hold Aeroplan 25K Status when they meet the Eligible Earn will have their Aeroplan 25K Status extended through December 31, 2023.
- Members who are Primary Cardholders of an eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card and hold Aeroplan 35K Status when they meet the Eligible Earn will have their Aeroplan 35K Status extended through December 31, 2023;
- Members who are Primary Cardholders of an eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card and hold Aeroplan 50K Status when they meet the Eligible Earn will have their Aeroplan 50K Status extended through December 31, 2023;
- Members who are Primary Cardholders of an eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card and hold Aeroplan 75K Status when they meet the Eligible Earn will have their Aeroplan 75K Status extended through December 31, 2023; and
- Members who are Primary Cardholders of an eligible Aeroplan Co-Branded Credit Card and hold Aeroplan Super Elite Status when they meet the Eligible Earn will have their Aeroplan Super Elite Status extended through December 31, 2023.
Aeroplan Elite status extensions will begin in July 2022 for members who already met the Eligible Earn. Once you meet the Eligible Earn, please allow up to 8 weeks for your Aeroplan Elite status extension to be processed. While we strive to expedite the extensions for all eligible Aeroplan members, this may result in a temporary loss of status for some eligible Aeroplan members in January 2023 while their extension is being processed.
The following purchases do not qualify as eligible purchases for the Offer: Cash Advances, Balance Transfers, Convenience Cheques, fees, interest and payments. Refunds, rebates, or credits on the account will cancel this Offer if the Eligible Earn are not met over the Offer Period.
No bonus Aeroplan points, Status Qualifying Miles (SQM), Status Qualifying Segments (SQS), or Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD) will be credited as part of this Offer.
This Offer is not transferable and is not redeemable for cash. Secondary cardholders are not eligible for the Maintain your status offer.
This Offer may be withdrawn or changed without prior notice at any time. This Offer may be revoked if you appear to be manipulating or abusing it, or are engaged in any suspicious or fraudulent activity, as determined by Air Canada or Aeroplan in its sole discretion. If you are found to be gaming this Offer, Aeroplan or Air Canada have the sole right to revoke the Aeroplan Elite Status extension earned during the Offer period.
This Offer will be in addition to any other offers available and subject to the respective requirements and offer end dates.
If this Offer is not running as planned for any reason, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, pandemic or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of Aeroplan which corrupt or affect the administration, security or proper conduct of this Offer, Aeroplan reserves the right at its sole discretion to, without advance notice, terminate or suspend the Offer, in whole or in part, or modify it in any way. Aeroplan also reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual from this Offer and to ban the individual from any future offers that it finds or believes to be tampering with the process or the operation of this Offer.
The following terms apply to this Offer:
- Aeroplan Program General Information and Terms and Conditions
- Aeroplan Elite Status Terms and Conditions:
This offer is addressed to members who have not yet requalified for Elite status in 2023. If you have already reached the published number of SQM, SQS and SQD required to maintain your Elite status in 2023, your status is safe regardless of this offer or how many points you earn via your Aeroplan Credit Card.