IHG One Rewards rolled out the Milestone Rewards (read more here) and enhanced member benefits (read more here) last week and launched a Status Challenge the previous month (read more here) that they continue pushing hard by frequent email blasts.
Any IHG One Rewards members, excluding those in Greater China (mainland, Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan), can sign up and get instant Platinum status for 120 days or through the end of 2022. You will need to consume five nights within the 120 days to retain it through the end of 2023 or fifteen nights to be upgraded to Diamond.
You can access this offer on IHG’s website here.
READ MORE: IHG One Rewards Rate & Bonus Points Offers
IHG One Rewards Email:
- The offer is available for everyone (just choose one of the programs from the menu) outside of Greater China
- The 120-day period begins when you register, and the registration closes on July 31, 2022
- Awards nights are not considered qualifying for this promotion or nights with a spend of $30 or less
- You get instant Platinum status (the offer states for 120 days, but the website indicates until December 31, 2022)
- 5 nights to retain Platinum or 15 nights to upgrade Diamond through December 31, 2023
Platinum Status Challenge
Diamond Status Challenge
IHG Status Challenge Programs
You need to choose one of the programs below for a “match,” but there is no need to provide any confirmation of status. It is merely for registration and internal IHG tracking purposes.
Platinum & Diamond Benefits
The main benefits of Platinum status are a 60% bonus on base points and upgrades. Diamond members are eligible for breakfast, a 100% bonus on base points, and better upgrade potential.
You need to hit at least 40 nights in 2022 (award nights also qualify) to get lounge access at IHG hotels that have them. You can then choose it as a Milestone reward.
I decided to register a family member account for this offer.
The confirmation email came and showed no status.
The status challenge tracks fine on the My Offers.
But the status page shows that the Platinum is valid through December 31, 2022, and not 120 days as the promo suggests.
IHG One Rewards Program Refresh:
- Reader Email: InterContinental Boston Refuses To Honor IHG One Rewards Elite Benefits?
- IHG One Rewards Benefit Clarification Effective June 10, 2022
- IHG One Rewards New Elite Tiers & Benefits Now Live
- IHG One Rewards Milestone Rewards Now Live
- IHG Launches IHG One Rewards With Breakfast, Suite Upgrades & Lounge Access
This is an excellent offer to get Diamond status through December 31, 2023, by consuming 15 nights within 120 days of registration for this promotion.
It allows members to try out the refreshed program with better benefits, as we have outlined in the pieces referenced above
You do need to consume 40 nights by the end of the year to get lounge access at InterContinental and other hotels that have them. If you don’t stay at full-service and luxury IHG hotels at all, this is of no benefit to you.
Terms & Conditions of this Offer:
To participate in the IHG One Rewards “Status Challenge” promotion (“Promotion”), an individual must be an IHG One Rewards member and must register for the Promotion under their member number. The Promotion registration period begins on May 18, 2022 and ends on July 31, 2022 (“Promotion Registration Period”). Once a member registers for the Promotion, the member will automatically be upgraded to IHG One Rewards Platinum Elite status and can start enjoying the associated benefits. This Promotion is not available to members who reside in Greater China.
A member’s upgrade to Platinum Elite status through this Promotion will remain in effect for the 120-day period immediately following their registration. A member, however, can keep their IHG One Rewards Platinum Elite status, or even elevate themselves to Diamond Elite status, through the end of December 2023 by having a certain number of qualifying night stays during their 120-day post-registration period (the “Stay Period”). Specifically, a member with five (5) qualifying nights during their Stay Period will keep their IHG One Rewards Platinum Elite status through the end of December 2023, and if the member stays an additional ten (10) qualifying nights (for a total of fifteen (15) qualifying nights) within their 120-day Stay Period, they will earn IHG One Rewards Diamond Elite status through the end of December 2023. Because this 120-day “Stay Period” follows a member’s registration for the Promotion, each member who registers will have their own Stay Period. By way of example, a member who registers on June 20, 2022 will have a 120-day Stay Period beginning on the date of registration (June 20, 2022) and ending on October 18 , 2022 to complete their five (5) qualifying nights and keep Platinum Elite status, or their ten (10) additional (15 in total) qualifying nights to achieve Diamond Elite status, through the end of December 2023. The standard requirements for achieving various levels of Elite status under the new IHG One Rewards program, which would apply once any Platinum Elite or Diamond Elite status awarded under this special Promotion expires, are included in the IHG One Rewards Membership Terms and Conditions, which can be found at here.
To be a qualifying night under this Promotion, the room night must be part of a Qualifying Stay. Only those qualifying nights falling within the member’s Stay Period are counted for purposes of the Promotion. Room nights prior to registration or outside of a member’s Stay Period are not included. A “Qualifying Stay” is a minimum one (1)-night stay booked under a Qualifying Rate, with total spend exceeding US $30 (or local currency equivalent) for each night. Bookings made through on-line travel agencies or other reservation sites such as booking.com or expedia.com are not eligible for this Promotion. For additional details on Qualifying Rates, please see the full IHG One Rewards Membership Terms and Conditions. If more than one member checks into the same room, only one member is eligible to count the room nights towards the Promotion (for those nights that qualify). If a member books more than one room on the same night, the member will only receive credit for qualifying nights for one room.
Registration for this Promotion may require the input of information relating to a member’s affiliation with other hotel loyalty programs. IHG reserves the right to verify any representations made as to participation and status in such programs.
This Promotion and IHG One Rewards membership are subject to the terms and conditions of the IHG® Rewards program and/or the IHG One Rewards program, as may be applicable given the ongoing transition from the IHG Rewards program to the IHG One Rewards program. The terms and conditions for these programs may be found at IHG One Rewards Membership Terms and Conditions or by visiting www.ihg.com/onerewards, and are subject to change at any time without notice. IHG expressly reserves the right to remove a member’s points, downgrade their status, or cancel their account if fraudulent use of the Promotion is detected, and any fraudulent activity relating to a member’s account, this Promotion, or restricted rate offerings is subject to the IHG One Rewards Membership Terms and Conditions (as applicable), including any of the identified actions that may be taken in response to such activity. To the extent permitted by applicable law, IHG reserves the right of final interpretation of the Promotion, as well as the right to cancel, terminate, suspend and/or modify the Promotion at any time. Members must make any promotional inquiries by 60 days from the end of the promotional period, which for this purpose is November 29, 2022.
Here are the frequently asked questions by IHG:
• Upon registration, automatically granted Platinum Elite status for 120-day period
o Stay 5 nights within 120 days to keep Platinum status until Dec. 2023
o Stay 10 more nights (15 total) within 120 days to earn Diamond status until Dec. 2023
• Registration Period: May 18, 2022 – July 31, 2022
• Stay Period: 120-days post registration date
o Example: If a member registers on July 31, 2022, they will have until November 29, 2022 to complete their qualifying nights within the promotional period
What is Status Challenge?
- Status Challenge is a promotion that will allow members of other hotel loyalty programs the ability to increase their status within the IHG One Rewards program by staying a reduced number of qualifying nights at IHG® Hotels & Resorts. Travelers have a number of hotel programs to choose from and many may not be familiar with the breadth of the IHG® hotel portfolio or what IHG’s loyalty program has to offer. After registering for the promotion, members will experience what it is like to be part of IHG’s award-winning hotel loyalty program.
What is the Offer?
- Members will incorporate their status with another hotel loyalty program within drop downs on the Status Challenge promotion landing page. From there, they will register for the promotion. Upon registration, they will automatically receive IHG One Rewards Platinum Elite status for the 120-day period immediately following their registration. The member will then have an opportunity to keep their Platinum Elite status, or earn Diamond Elite status, through the end of December 2023 with a reduced number of qualifying night stays during their 120-day post-registration period. To keep Platinum Elite status through the end of December 2023, a member will need to stay five (5) qualifying nights within their post-registration 120-day period. To achieve Diamond Elite status through end of December 2023, a member will need to stay an additional ten (10) qualifying nights (15 in total) within the 120-day period.
How does a member register for this promotion?
- Members must visit the campaign landing page for the promotion – found here – to complete a short questionnaire and register for the promotion during the registration period, which is from May 31, 2022 through July 31, 2022.
- Those who are not already an IHG One Rewards member can sign up to become a member through the campaign landing page for the promotion, or on ihg.com, and then visit the promotion campaign landing page to complete the registration form.
What are the registration dates?
- The Status Challenge registration will be open for a limited time, from May 31, 2022 – July 31, 2022.
- Promotions are subject to being canceled, suspended and/or modified at anytime, to the extent permitted under applicable law.
How many days will a member have Platinum Elite status initially awarded as part of the promotion?
- Members who are registered will enjoy Platinum Elite status for 120-days from the date of their registration for the promotion.
- If the member has the required number of qualifying night stays within their post-registration 120-day window (as described in the “What is the Offer” FAQ above), the member will then keep their Platinum Elite status through the end of December 2023. As also mentioned in the “What is the Offer” FAQ above, a member registered for the promotion also has an opportunity to achieve Diamond Elite status with a reduced number of qualifying night stays.
Who is eligible to participate in Status Challenge?
- Any member of the IHG One Rewards program (other than those members who reside in Greater China) are eligible to participate in the Status Challenge promotion.
What is a Qualifying Stay for purposes of this Promotion?
- A Qualifying Stay is a minimum of one (1) night stay booked under a Qualifying Rate, with total spend exceeding US $30 (or local currency equivalent) for each night. The stay can be at any IHG hotel or resort or Mr & Mrs Smith property, with the exception of stays at IHG hotels and resorts or Mr & Mrs Smith properties located in the Greater China region, which are excluded for purposes of this promotion.
- If more than one member checks into the same room, only one member is eligible to count the room nights towards the promotion (for those nights that qualify). If a member books more than one room on the same night, they will only receive credit for qualifying nights for one room. Additional details on Qualifying Stays are provided in the IHG Rewards Members Terms and Conditions.
What is considered a Qualifying Rate?
- Qualifying Rates include most business and leisure rates, such as Advanced Purchase rates, Best Flexible rates, Global sales negotiated rates (including but not limited to Corporate Gold rates), national/regional/local government rates, and specified leisure rates as confirmed by IHG’s reservation systems. In Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Greater China hotels and resorts, Qualifying Rates include all locally negotiated rates. For more details on Qualifying Rates, please visit the IHG Rewards Members Terms and Conditions.
Where can I find the terms and conditions for the IHG One Rewards Program?
- IHG’s loyalty program is transitioning from the IHG® Rewards program to the new IHG One Rewards program. Consequently, the Status Challenge Promotion and membership in the IHG loyalty program are subject to the terms and conditions of the IHG® Rewards program and/or the IHG One Rewards program, as may be applicable based on the particular circumstances. The terms and conditions for these programs, including information concerning the effective dates of certain provisions and the terms and conditions as a whole, may be found at IHG Rewards Membership Terms and Conditions or by visiting www.ihg.com/onerewards. All such terms and conditions are subject to change at any time without advance notice.