A LoyaltyLobby reader sent us an email about a piece we published earlier this month (read more here) that dealt with IHG One Rewards Diamond status extensions by buying/renewing InterContinental Ambassador.
You can access IHG’s page for the Ambassador program here.
READ MORE: IHG One Rewards Rate & Bonus Points Offers
IHG has, for years, allowed members to extend their top-tier status by merely buying or renewing InterContinental Ambassador status.
It was unclear for a while if IHG had continued his practice which we confirmed in our previous piece.
Confirming that I took the (small) gamble after reading your June 17 post about Ambassador extending IHG Diamond.
I extended my recently expired Ambassador membership (through the website) and it instantly extended my Diamond status from 12/31/22 to 12/31/23.
The extension worked as it should. The reader’s Diamond tier was extended by another year through December 31, 2023.
What We Published Earlier:
There has been a long-lasting Ambassador program feature that has been very beneficial for IHG Rewards and now IHG One Rewards members.
Signing up or renewing Ambassador status using either cash or points has automatically renewed your IHG One Rewards top tier status through the end of the following calendar year. This previously applied to Spire Elite; I renewed it using this method couple of times, and now to Diamond elite.
- Your Diamond status is set to expire on December 31, 2022, and you don’t have enough nights or qualifying spend to qualify.
- You sign up or renew InterContinental Ambassador at any time during 2022 (preferably when there is a promotion for doing so).
- The Diamond elite is extended through December 31, 2023.
Note that there is no guarantee that IHG continues to extend the Diamond tier based on purchasing or renewing the InterContinental Ambassador.
The main change in the recent benefit enhancement was that Diamond elite members can now choose breakfast for two as their amenity choice.
Club lounge access and suite upgrades are based on nights consumed as they are part of IHG’s Milestone Rewards.
Main InterContinental Ambassador benefits:
- IHG One Rewards Platinum Status
- Guaranteed One Category Upgrade
- Guaranteed 4 PM Check-Out at InterContinental Hotels
- $20 F&B Credit Per Stay
- Free Weekend Night Voucher
Remember that you can easily qualify for the Diamond tier by booking and paying for Bonus Points Packages!
IHG One Rewards Elite Benefits & Milestone Rewards
- HG One Rewards Benefit Clarification Effective June 10, 2022
- IHG One Rewards New Elite Tiers & Benefits Now Live
- IHG One Rewards Milestone Rewards Now Live
- IHG Launches IHG One Rewards With Breakfast, Suite Upgrades & Lounge Access
Spire Elite Extensions Via InterContinental Ambassador
Interestingly, this status extension has never been an official benefit of the Ambassador program and can, thus, be removed without any advance notice.
There are still some benefits left with InterContinental Ambassador, of which the main ones are the confirmed 4 PM check out, F&B credit, and guaranteed upgrade.
The hot breakfast for two is an amenity choice at the Diamond level, and paying for Ambassador can be recouped, if staying at an expensive hotel, easily over a few nights.