Delta Air Lines must be bracing for an ugly travel weekend and has, as a result, issued a July 4th Holiday Travel Waiver and sent out emails to passengers ticketed to fly on this period.
Passengers scheduled to fly between July 1 – 4 can reschedule the trip to begin before or after up to July 8 without any fees or fare differences.
You can access Delta’s page for the waiver here.
Email From Delta:
July 4th Holiday Travel Waiver:
We are providing more flexibility to customers for making changes to their flight schedule ahead of the busy July 4th holiday weekend as we expect to carry customer volumes over the weekend not seen since before the pandemic.
We are issuing a systemwide fare difference travel waiver for July 1-4, 2022, which allows you to rebook your trip either before or after these peak holiday travel days – with no fare difference or change fees for all Delta tickets, including Basic Economy, as long as you travel between the same origin and destination and remain in the same cabin of service as originally booked.
Check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute information about your flight plans, or get updates sent directly to your mobile device or by email with One-Time Flight Notification.
AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH) IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S) TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN All cities Delta flies
July 1 – July 4, 2022 July 8, 2022 July 8, 2022
How to Change Your Flight:
- To change your flight, visit My Trips on delta.com, select the flight you wish to change and then click on “Change or Add Flights”
- Changes can also be made on the Fly Delta app
- For additional support, review our how-to guide
Future Travel Rebooking Options:
- When rebooked travel occurs on or before July 8, 2022 in the same cabin of service as originally booked, the fare difference will be waived.
- When rebooked travel occurs after July 8, 2022, a difference in fare may apply.
- If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket within ticket validity. Applicable fare difference may apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity.
Conditions and Restrictions
Eligibility only for customers with an Original Ticket Issue Date on or before June 28, 2022. Changes to origins and destinations may increase the fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.
It makes sense for Delta and perhaps other airlines to issue similar waivers for travel this hectic weekend.
In most recent weeks, the system has not been able to cope with the increased passenger numbers, albeit still lower than the comparable period in 2019, resulting in canceled flights and very irritated passengers.
I cannot wait for the busy summer travel period to be over.