British Airways has launched a sale that allows Executive Club members to buy Avios with a 50% bonus through July 10, 2022.
Executive Club has capped the number of Avios that one can purchase any calendar year before any bonuses at 100,000, and the limit is raised during this sale to 200,000 (max 300K with the bonus).
You can access this offer on BA’s website here.
BA sells its Avios at different prices in the UK, Europe, and the US (depending on the account address), and it seems that Europe is usually the cheapest option. Compare the prices, and you’ll see a significant difference.
The lowest price of an Avios purchased under this offer is 1.2 euro cents. However, the price for USD purchases is much higher.
The maximum bonus during these sales has been 50%, and the Avios price depends on where your account is based. British Airways has previously offered up to 75% bonus, but only to affiliate credit cardholders.
Buying Avios can make sense if you can use them for Reward Flight Savers with limited taxes/fees (a popular option for travel between London and European cities), or you have a 2-4-1 redemption voucher and happen to be a Gold Guest List member (much better availability) + combining all this with an upgrade voucher.
Some partners have very low or no fuel surcharges at all. So using Avios for those or short/medium-haul business class flights can be a good deal.
Considering BA charges very high fuel surcharges on their awards, it rarely makes sense to redeem for long-haul economy flights on their metal (with some exceptions, as is always the case). As a result, the non-stop partner awards in premium cabins are often the best deal using Avios.
BA’s award availability can sometimes be challenging but tends to be acceptable if you have some flexibility.
These are the terms & conditions for this promotion:
Promotional terms and conditions: 50% bonus Avios
1. This offer is only open to Members of the British Airways Executive Club (Eligible Participants).
2. The offer is available from 00:01 (BST) Thursday 23 June 2022 to 23:59 (BST) Sunday 10 July 2022 only (the ‘Offer Period’).
3. During the Offer Period, Eligible Participants will receive 50% extra Avios (bonus Avios) when they Purchase or Gift Avios.
4. This offer is only valid when you Purchase or Gift 2,000 Avios and above. Offer is not valid when you Purchase or Gift 1,000 Avios.
5. Avios can only be purchased or gifted at Purchase and Gift Avios Application.
6. Eligible Participants may Gift Avios (purchase for someone else) during the promotional period, provided that the recipient holds a British Airways Executive Club account with at least one Avios point in their account.
7. The Bonus Avios will not count towards your annual limit of 200,000 Avios.
8. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other Purchase Avios offer.
9. The Executive Club Terms and Conditions and Conditions of Use apply to this offer and can be found at ba.com.
10. British Airways reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this offer.
General terms and conditions:
1. The Purchaser can pay to gift a maximum of 200,000 Avios in any one calendar year. There may be occasions where there is a delay of up to 3 working days in the Avios being credited to your account. If after this time you have not received your Avios, please let us know via the Contact Us form at the bottom of the Gift Avios page. We reserve the right to amend the maximum annual amount that can be gifted at any time.
2. A Recipient of gifted Avios can receive a maximum of 200,000 Avios in any one calendar year in aggregate, irrespective of the number of Purchasers.
3. Avios can only be gifted in specified amounts, starting at the minimum of 1,000 Avios.
4. Gift Avios may be amended from time to time for promotional activity, please see Gift Avios page for details.
5. The Recipient will be able to spend Avios when they appear as credited in the Recipient’s Executive Club account.
6. The Purchaser can only gift Avios to one Recipient per transaction.
7. Avios can only be gifted on Ba.com using the Gift Avios application.
8. In order to gift Avios, the Purchaser will need to know the Recipient’s first and last name, email address and Executive Club Membership number. The Purchaser should ensure that the Recipient has not received more than 200,000 Avios, inclusive of the proposed transaction, in that calendar year. The Purchaser and Recipient will receive an email once the transaction is complete.
9. The Purchaser must have at least one Avios in their Executive Club account in order to gift Avios. If the Purchaser has a balance of zero Avios, they will need to have collected or redeemed Avios in the past 36 months in order to gift Avios.
10. The Purchaser will be unable to gift Avios if they have a negative balance.
11. The Purchaser must be 18 years or over. The Recipient can be of any age, however, if the Recipient is under the age of 18 years and receives Avios, he or she must be a Member of a Household Account in order to redeem Avios.
12. Once Avios are gifted by a Purchaser to a Recipient, the transaction is non-refundable and cannot be reversed.
13. The transaction currency will be pre-determined based on the registered country of the Purchaser’s British Airways Executive Club account.
14. The Gift Avios year begins 1 January and ends 31 December.
15. Purchasing Avios will reset the 36-month Avios expiry rule, as set out in the British Airways Executive Club Terms and Conditions, for the Recipient.
16. The Purchaser must not demand, and the Recipient must not offer any value or value in-kind for Avios. Such activity or any other use of Avios contrary to these British Airways Executive Club Terms and Conditions will constitute a fundamental breach. In the event of such a breach, British Airways reserves the right at any time in its sole and absolute discretion to terminate the Membership of any Member. British Airways shall write to such Member to inform them that their Membership is being terminated for this reason.
17. In the case of Fraud or Misconduct, both as defined in the British Airways Executive Club Terms and Conditions, British Airways reserves the right at any time in its sole and absolute discretion to terminate the Membership of any Member and may cancel all accrued and accruing Avios of the Member and any Reward booking.