IHG refreshed its guest loyalty program this spring and renamed it IHG One Rewards, with several new features.
IHG introduced new elements into the program in addition to the standard tier levels based on the number of nights or base points earned. IHG One Rewards members could earn Milestone Rewards starting at 20 nights for every 10 through 100.
You can access IHG One Rewards here.
READ MORE: IHG One Rewards Rate & Bonus Points Offers
IHG One Rewards Program Refresh:
- IHG One Rewards Upgrade Benefit Clarification
- Reader Question: Can Kimpton Kimpton Alton Fisherman’s Wharf Refuse Diamond Member Breakfast Benefit?
- InterContinental Hotels Renaming Club Lounges To Prevent Free Access?
- IHG One Rewards New Elite Tiers & Benefits Now Live
- IHG One Rewards Milestone Rewards Now Live
- IHG Launches IHG One Rewards With Breakfast, Suite Upgrades & Lounge Access
- IHG Rewards Refresh: Spire Elite Becomes Diamond & New Silver Tier
- IHG Rewards Email About Program Refresh In April 2022
Confirmable Suite Upgrade: Case InterContinental Le Grand
IHG also introduced confirmable suite upgrades, and I covered my reception experience last week.
Annual Lounge Membership
Just before the stay at the InterContinental Le Grand in Paris, I reached 40 qualifying nights in 2022 that unlocked a new set of Milestone Rewards that you could choose at this level.
If you stay at hotels that offer Club Lounges, the most obvious first choice at 40 nights Milestone Rewards level is the Annual Lounge Membership.
I chose another Confirmable Suite Upgrade as the second choice.
The Annual Lounge Membership “badge” is deposited in your rewards wallet, and you are supposed to show it at the front desk (hotel or the club lounge) for your key to be programmed to include the lounge access.
If you click the details, it opens up another window with the following information:
Annual Lounge Membership
You and one guest will enjoy exclusive Club Lounge access during your stays at participating hotels.
How it works
• Your Annual Lounge Membership reward will be in your Rewards Wallet, accessible via the IHG One Rewards app or website.
• At check-in, show the front desk your Annual Lounge Membership reward.
• Club Lounge access will be added to your room key or you will be provided with other access instructions.
• Download the IHG One Rewards app to easily show your Annual Lounge Membership reward at the front desk.
• Your Club Lounge access only applies to you and one guest for th duration of your stay or until time check-out.
• Club Lounge access is not available at all properties.
• Prior to expiration, there is no limit to the number of times you can use your Annual Lounge Membership reward.
• Club Lounge access is only provided to hotel guests and expires at check-out.
• Club Lounge access can be restricted due to renovations, closures, or other facility limitations.
• Club Lounge food & beverage offering and additional amenities vary by region and hotel.
• Club Lounge access does not include Club REGENT or Club InterContinental amenities or services beyond the physical lounge
• Lounge Membership reward can oly be used at participating IHG® Hotels & Resorts. Please see the IHG One Rewards Membership Terms & Conditions for full benefit details.
InterContinental Le Grand Paris Annual Lounge Membership Experience:
I had not been to this hotel since my InterContinental Royal Ambassador status was downgraded in 2017/2018.
The lounge was moved from my previous visit, and I had trouble entering it for checking-in purposes, but I finally managed.
The check-in personnel was not gone through the loyalty program training (recently joined IHG) and asked me to forward the screenshot from the lounge access pass from the app. The key was correctly programmed, and I was set.
King Opera View Junior Suite With Balcony:
The lounge access worked as it should have, and how I hope that it will also work in the future.
I am not just 100% convinced that some InterContinental hotels can handle the influx of guests who have chosen the Annual Lounge Membership as their 40 or 70-night Milestone Reward option and which are favorites for award redemptions (think of the likes of Le Grand and Park Lane).
Why has IHG not been able to program their internal system to show that I have lounge access so that the check-in process would be smoother AND the hotel could better manage its lounge capacity?
How can the hotel authenticate that you have lounge access when you can, effectively, just show a screen capture of the pass?