Wyndham Rewards just launched their spring 2012 promotion (United States, Canada & Mexico) that is valid for stays from March 29th to July 8th, 2012 with a check out date no later than July 12th.
There are two separate components for this promotion:
Double Points or Miles:
1. You will receive double points/miles beginning from your first stay if you book the stay at any Wyndham website (wyndhamrewards.com, daysinn.com, ramada.com, wyndham.com, wingatehotels.com, hawthorn.com, super8.com, baymontinns.com, microtelinn.com, hojo.com, travelodge.com, knightsinn.com, dreamintl.com, or nighthotelny.com)
2. You can earn double points or miles ONLY for the first four stays during the promotional period.
3. US Airline Carriers (American Airlines, Delta, Frontier, Southwest, United & US Airways), Air Canada & AeroMexico are valid for double miles.
4. This promotion requires registration at wyndhamrewards.com/movie and is only valid for US, Canada, and Mexico residents (Wyndham Rewards account address)
1. You will receive an email with a code for Hollywood Movie Money certificate up to 24 USD, 24 CAD, or 288 MXP after your second and fourth stay during the promotional period.
2. Valid for US, Canada, and Mexico only.
Should I choose miles or points?
That is always an interesting question. In general hotel points are best used for hotel awards, but sometimes there are promotions from airlines for partner activity i.e. US Airways Dividend Miles. But, even if you prefer miles over Wyndham Rewards points it does make sense most of the time to collect the points and later transfer them to miles.
You earn 10 Wyndham Rewards points per dollar spend except at Hawthorne Suites where you get 5 points per dollar. Both are doubled for the first four stays during this promotional period.
With airline partners the number of miles earned is dependent of the partner. Also, the number of miles earned at Wyndham hotels & Hawthorn is capped at 500 miles per stay.
You can exchange Wyndham Reward points for airline miles. You can get 12000 American Airline miles for 30000 Wyndham Reward points.
If you think, 20 Wyndham points per dollar is essentially 8 American Airlines miles per dollar spend when you transfer in the chunks of 30000 Wyndham Reward points. You only get 4 American Airline miles per dollar if you choose miles instead of points during the promotional period.
At the Wyndham Hotels & Resorts the situation is bit different due to the 500 miles per stay that is doubled to 1000 miles during the promotional period. If your folio is under $125, you are better by choosing the fixed miles (doubled) instead of points.
The situation is yet different at Hawthorne properties that have lowered point earnings of 5 Wyndham reward points per dollar spend. Your folio needs to be in excess of $250 to be better off by choosing double points instead of double miles.
Overall to make things easy, I would say that the reasonable choice is to choose double points, and later transfer them to miles if needed.
The Terms and conditions of this promotion: